META: The Quest for Motivation #1

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Mon Sep 11 18:01:09 PDT 2017

On 2017-09-10 23:33, deucexm wrote:
> Not that a #2 is intended, but given the nature of things...
>
> I've been trying to get back into the swing of writing, and faced a number of
> difficulties on the way there.  So I thought I'd try a somewhat different
> approach, and as a storyteller simply ask: what tales would you like me to
> continue telling?  Perhaps that will provide the necessary impetus, in part.

Well then, here's my preference order.

#1.  It's the best concept I've seen, since Salon DYAL changed that one
young crusader's life.  It might have some power (depending on what
powers the Stardust Throne can draw on), and I like that.  And it's
definitely cute.  (I came to near-maturity when Marvel Comics had a
slogan:  MARVEL COMICS IS POWER - And We're Cute Too!)

#2.  It's a good big concept.  And you might have noticed, I like big
powerful concepts.

#3.  I'm confident Adventures in Plumbing will actually go somewhere,
once some blockage gets removed from the pipes.  8{D>

> Captain Calamity: a girl who can artificially see the future takes her first
> steps into space and works on becoming the Pirate King except not really

What I recall seeing, is a good start.  But it's not Top Three.  I tend
not to prioritize beyond Top Three, because then I just change my mind.

> The DYAL Goes To Eleven: Another Salon Story, starring Mister Fabulous and
> Warrior Lady in their search for the perfect dresses

I admire the Salon DYAL, but now I only vaguely remember that DYAL had
commissioned a hunt from some clients - who were eager and willing to
please.  Unless next DYAL needs the blood of Anakh the Jackal God to
make hair glitter with, I don't see this thread going anywhere.

> Anakh the Jackal-God and the First Man: the mythological retelling of events
> surrounding the founding of Dur Lachesis

heh.  I'm fine with mythic retelling as part of a magic/superhuman
universe, but it's best if it ties in to the modern day in an obvious way.

> Apart from these, there's also Harvest (working title) which introduces two
> associates of the Lost Order - which is referenced in Time Enough for Tea -
> and the as-yet-unnamed continuation of TEFT itself, with Pureheart and Laurel
> 'Silverblood' (wouldn't you like to know!).  Not to mention the /original/
> WISP story I planned with the angelic Paris and the Whisper entity itself, and
> the tale of the capital-H Hunt and its role in the DiVerse...

If the "Hunt" is related to some of these other stories, I encourage
that.  Otherwise, your plate's full enough.

> So many choices, it's hard to decide.  Do let me know if there's one in
> particular that interests you.  :)

Done!

I know. - Archie Andrews