MISC: The Girl Who Saved the World Part 66

George Phillies phillies at 4liberty.net
Thu Oct 26 15:14:09 PDT 2017

Brian glared at Archie. "Not a polite question. But she wouldn't cheat.
She just wouldn't. Besides, it's Janie and I who have gifts, which we
wouldn't have told anyone about.Except that idiot Emperor Roxbury showed
up with his stupid giant robots. Why did Roxbury have to show up here?
Now I have the principal, the guidance counselors, the school
psychiatrist, and half my teachers wanting to be real sure Janie and I
don't lose our tempers. I don't. After all, Janie and I had our gifts
for years now. No one ever suspected anything. Maybe some gamers. Janie
plays under an Overton cage."

"That was just Trisha? Running fast?" MacDonald nodded. "She's for sure
fast. Maybe she should join the girls’ cross-country team."

"Out of the question. Please don't ask her. I mean it. Just don't ask
her. It's complicated. But she wouldn't want to say no. She just can't
say yes," Brian said.

"GR! And Joe?" MacDonald asked, pausing to take another bite of salad.

"He disappeared," Brian answered. He drank half of his glass of milk.
"That's been a super-incredible pain-in-the-neck. There were all these
people who think Eclipse learned her City of Steel move from Janie. But
she’s never met Eclipse. We don't even know what Eclipse looks like. Not
for sure. So there are all these crazy people. They think Joe taught
Eclipse. No one knows how to find Joe. You saw the papers.We had the
National team and a bunch of people from the Federal District on our
doorsteps. I met Speaker Ming!And Krystal North!"

*****

Janie sat in a quiet corner, munching on her sandwich and reading a book
on Territories. Most days, she had friends to sit and talk with, but her
schedule today was a bit complicated. She really did not want to talk to
anyone at the moment. There were already people who know about Trisha
being grounded. Most of them would be nice. Or sympathetic. She also
knew a couple of meanies, people who didn't like her because she had her
Highly Respected ranking, and would take it out on Trisha.

There, however, came Ingrid Fairhaven. Ingrid was a nice person. That's
why she got along so well with Trisha. They were both just nice people.
She was even nice to Trisha’s younger sister, even though Janie was a
whole grade level lower. A lot of eighth-graders just looked down their
noses at seventh graders, as though they were some inferior sort of
insect. Ingrid waved. Janie waved back.

Ingrid sat down at the end of the table, looked around to see no one was
really in earshot, and leaned over to Janie. "I promise I won't call you
out of your book," Ingrid said. "You're the best Five Games player this
school ever had. But I saw your picture in the paper. You and those
Grandmasters. And the Speaker of the House. That was really frigid. Are
you all right?"

"I'm just great," Janie said. "They were all nice to me. Well, I had a
champion, a persona who protects me. And they grilled me on my move for
two hours. Girl, but they gave away a lot of good ways to think about
moves. I was really tired afterwards. Yesterday I won two correspondence
games!"

"I'm more-or-less your sister's best friend. I won't pry," Ingrid said.
"I want to help. If I can. Suddenly she dropped out of the music club.
She told me that she was grounded, and that she didn't know why. If you
can think of anything I can do to help her, just let me know."

Janie frowned pensively. "Please don't tell anyone else."

"Not in a million years," Ingrid said.

"If I said something to you, could you repeat it to her?" Janie said.
Ingrid nodded. "Mom and Dad said that Brian and I can't talk to her
unless they're in the room listening. But there's something I'd like to
say to her, and I can't, because I don't want my parents to hear it."

"That is totally weird," Ingrid said. "Of course I will. And I won't
tell anyone else what the message was."

"Please tell her. Brian and I both love her. And neither of us can
figure out why mom and dad are mad at her. We just can't. It doesn't
make any sense."

"Will do. Wait. Did they cut off her allowance, too?" Ingrid asked.
"That matters.”

"That was this morning. She only gets lunch money. But I think she's
dipping into her piggy bank to get enough to eat at lunch. She's a real
jock, and eats a lot just to keep up her weight." Janie shook her head.
It was all so crazy.

"I won't tell anyone. That's beyond strange. But we can't have her going
around hungry," Ingrid said. "I just don’t know what I can do."

"Brian and I will sneak money from our allowances, just to be sure she
isn't hungry," Janie said. "But we will get into super deep trouble with
our parents when we do that and they find out. We’ll do it anyhow."
Janie remembered Sunssword explaining about the life support gift. She
and her two siblings could get along for a while without eating, just by
calling on their gifts, but that wasn't healthy while you were growing
up. She didn't want Trisha to do that.

"I'll see if I can find something," Ingrid said. "Mayhaps my mom knows
the answer. Besides, I owe Trisha a ton for dropping out of music club.
I was sure I was going to lose the lead singer spot to her." The two
girls smiled at each other.

* * * * *

Trisha opened the house's side door and slipped in, closing it very
carefully so it would make next to no noise. Her parents complained
about everything. They'd complain if she slammed the door, even if she
didn't. She kicked off her shoes, carefully untied the shoelaces, and
stacked them properly at the door entrance.