LNH: Classic LNH Adventures #37: Culinary Disasters Part Three

Adrian McClure mrfantastic7 at gmail.com
Thu May 18 09:05:32 PDT 2017

On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 4:49 AM, Drew Perron <pwerdna at gmail.com> wrote:
> (For those not in the know, that was a reference to The Goon Show, a 1950s
> comedy radio program, many references to which made it into, you guessed it,
> Dvandom Force.)

I love when something becomes really pervasive because it gets
referenced a lot in one person's stories.

>>         "Syncity Millar. Brad, why are you banging your head against the
>> ground like that?"
>
>heeheehee

I just got that "Frank" is part of this too... dang it Jaelle. XD

>>      Jynx looked like she was about to go into one of her feminist spiels
>

> heh, this isn't uncomfortable @-@ Though I liked that, as Kid Kiwi's
> Kommandos went on, the narrative realized that the character who was
> supposed to be a parody of what they thought feminists wanted women to be
> was actually... awesome? And worth being?

Jynx was a formative queer crush for Alice Ashdown.

> ha
> ha
> ha @-@;;;;;;
>
> Yeah, I re-read this story not long ago, and I mean, obviously it's not
> going to actually go in That Direction, but still, Hoo Boy.

I was thinking about how the change in different sytles of comedy
lately has been part of the reason we've shifted away from characters
whose main purpose is to make people suffer, like Master Blaster or
Self Righteous Preacher. Thought SRP is a really fascinating
character. There's very few characters with more of a gap between the
best of what he's capable of (Limp Asparagus Lad #55) and the worst
(LNH Triple Play #5). But definitely a fraught character right now.

Also old LNH holds up on the whole a lot better than other media of
the time--and now--but there's some moments that are really... yeah.

>> Culinary Disasters Seven: La disaster de Culinaire.
>> By Mistlock.
>

> YAY Mistlock

If I had to name my single favorite LNH series, which is really
difficult, it'd be Misfits. The top five would be like, Misfits,
Dvandom Force, Miss Translation, Saviors of the Net and Writers Block
Person. Don't ask me about the order.

> This is some seriously great banter. (Also, I have always loved Weirdness
> Girl SO MUCH.)

You are definitely more of a Brittany, and I am more of a Paytan.

But we're both Savannah.

>>         "Valhal, a beautiful paradise, full of plants and happy people."
>>         [The next picture showed a cross-section of a mine.]
>>         "And full of lots and lots of valuable minerals.
>

> Who's he going to sell them to? The cosmology of Valhal fascinates me more
> and more.

The Crossover Queen? The Net.Gods?

> I LOVE THIS. :D :D :D I love any solution that involves C-EL making an
> improbable kind of cheesecake.

I have no idea how we're going to end WikiLull (I have an idea but I
have no idea how to get there), but this kind of thing will be
integral to the end of it.

>> Everyone else was Public Domain, in the event that anyone ever wants to
>> use Syncity, Valhal and the rest of that lot, just let me know. I'm not
>> going to bother sticking them in the roster. Consider them one-offs
>> (unless there is a demand for them, which I doubt).
>

> Oooooh. So that means I totally could write a Good-Timing Girl story. >#> Or
> an Emotive Lass one...

Yes do it.

>> Also thanks to Neil Gaiman, for the Angela miniseries that inspired this
>> story.
>

> Oooooh. :o Fascinating. I wonder how. <3
>
> Drew "critically acclaimed creators working in early Image was consistently
> fascinating" Perron

So if there's a sequel would it reference Marguerite Bennett's Angela?

--
Adrian "The Dark Spaceknight" McClure, now with sig