8FOLD/META: Where Do The Old Stories Go? (and, the 8fold Wiki)

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Wed May 17 17:53:06 PDT 2017

On 2017-05-17 16:17, Drew Perron wrote:
> On 5/17/2017 9:23 AM, Tom Russell wrote:
>> On Tuesday, May 16, 2017 at 9:28:17 PM UTC-4, Scott Eiler wrote:
>>
>>> Effects (for instance):  I find it difficult to find character reference
>>> on Rainshade.  For now, I can explore http://wil.alambre.ca/racc and
>>> find old Rainshade stories...  But that may be defeating some greater
>>> purpose.
>
> I note that all of the Eightfold stories are on
> https://lists.eyrie.org/pipermail/racc/ , and you can search it by going
> to Google and putting "site:lists.eyrie.org" before your query. For
> example, here's Rainshade:
>
> https://www.google.com/search?site=&source=hp&q=site%3Alists.eyrie.org+Rainshade&oq=site%3Alists.eyrie.org+Rainshade&gs_l=hp.3...1058.1927287.0.1927448.12.10.0.0.0.0.297.1271.0j3j3.6.0....0...1.1.64.hp..6.0.0.0.E4IeqcQWftc

I'll keep that in mind, thanks.

>>> Tom, since you have published some of these stories in professional
>>> media, I understand letting the public posts of the old stories expire.
>>> Do you do this?  If so...  How long is the retention period?
>>
>> I've never done this, so I'm not sure how any of this works.
>
> I think that's an automatic thing your news server does?

I was guessing, it's an obscure setting on your newsreader.  Either way,
it manifests itself as a line on your posts, something like
"x-no-archive:yes".  I learned this in the 1990s, from some particularly
paranoid people.

>> I don't have the resources to archive stories myself, but if anyone
>> wants to, I'd be more than happy to give it my blessing.
>
> Oh, man. TBH I've really been wanting to, especially to have a place to
> point people at my Medley stories... maaaaan... Okay, I think I need to
> do this X3

gee, Drew, you have untapped computer resources!

>>> And, while I was researching...  I found
>>> http://eightfold.wikia.com/wiki/8fold_Wiki , which is up to date into
>>> the early part of 2010.  (I recognize Dr. Fay.)  I call this page to the
>>> 8fold community's attention, because even I can update articles on
>>> wikia.com .
>>
>> Yes, update away, I have no qualms with that at all.
>
> Oh god, Wikia. XD I'd rather have a different server - they're
> notoriously awful, not only putting huge obtrusive ads, but actually
> taking over people's wikis when they try to move away.

ehh, yeah, the 8Fold Wiki on Wikia is (apparently) small enough that you
could easily migrate it - or just start over and build it bigger within
weeks.

I am no expert on public input sites, I admit.  You may note, the
Superhuman World Wiki is on my own web site.  If I have something that
invites public input, it probably involves the LNH, so I stow it on the
LNH Wiki.

I know. - Archie Andrews