LNH: Another LNH Title? Really: FCBD Special (warning: long)

Drew Perron pwerdna at gmail.com
Sun May 7 22:45:56 PDT 2017

On 5/8/2017 12:08 AM, Adrian McClure wrote:
> On Sun, May 7, 2017 at 1:53 AM, Drew Perron <pwerdna at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 5/6/2017 11:59 PM, Adrian McClure wrote:
>>> Kyoko Ishikawa, the team's long-suffering receptionist
>>

>> I like how she's just *The* Receptionist nowadays. X3 We all want to use her
>
> We should maybe think about introducing new receptionists, tho.

Ooooh, that's a good point.

> One of
> my recent themes has been thinking about Classic LNH as something
> that's been around long enough it has different generations, and how
> the old heroes interact with the new heroes and stuff, so it'd be nice
> to extend that theme to the receptionists.

Yessss. <3 The *real* legacy

> Note that there's a pretty huge character milestone in this issue
> (which I might have been too subtle about--I often try to convey
> things by inference and I worry about not signalling them enough):
> when he becomes WikiGambit, WikiBoy suggests his own form for the
> first time.

Yessssss :D That's SO POWERFUL. And I think it was good to point that out,
because it's easy to take as a mistake.

>> oh my god XD It's creepy when Real Gambit does it but it's *hilarious* here
>
> Part of that is that Marvel inexplicably thinks Gambit, a guy who
> wears a bright magenta shirt, is straight.

*cackles*

>>> "ENOUGH!" Steve Diamond waved his arm, sending his cape swooshing
>>> behind him, and everyone froze in place. "This writer really likes
>>> that maneuver, huh?" said Token Girl.
>>
>> Imperial battleship! Stop the flow of time!
>
> ZA WARUDO! Wait, that's not until--I mean--*whistles innocently*

Heeheehee :3

>>> "You know, the younger LNHers. Us plus Merissa and Poignant Death Lass
>>> and whoever else comes along. So would we be Generation ZZ? Or wait, I
>>> got it--The L-Terminators!"
>>
>> Oh my god. XD Is Footnote Girl in there? How about Fairy Princess Lad?
>
> I've wanted to bring Fairy Princess Lad back for a long time, so yeah!

:D Same!

>>> A harsh blue aura with red edges emerged around Kid Occultism Kid's
>>> body, joining with Merissa's intense red with blue edges.
>>
>> ooooooh. Mystical. :o They're not ultimately so different
>
> I was specifically thinking of the whole Red Oni, Blue Oni trope
> (TVTropes veterans represent)

Ah, nice! :D I was thinking of Magic: The Gathering's red and blue mana, which
is similar to that trope.

>>> Cat shook her head. "Haha, no. Of course not. You know me--always a
>>> bridesmaid, never a bride. I mean, I like reading about relationships,
>>> I like helping other people get into relationships... I'd like one
>>> myself, someday, maybe, but I have no idea what that'd look like for
>>> me. Right now I'm fine how I am. How about you?"
>>
>> Fascinating. I get definite queer vibes, but like... maybe ace-spectrum?
>
> Yeah that's pretty much how I've always seen her.

:>

> She's basically a light-side Emma Frost,

SHE TOTALLY IS. That took me a long time to realize. X3 But it's so compelling!
That's such a cool idea, you know? Someone with that sort of manipulative power
using it for Good.

> and I've always seen her that way too--someone
> who has sometimes been reduced to Sexy but as a telepath, her
> engagement with sex is as much about exploring and messing with
> peoples emotions and perceptions of it as the physical act itself.

Yes! The "reduced to sexy" thing is especially important in light of how much
she was treated as a Romance Girl and paired off in the early days but none of
it stuck.

> (January Frost is a reflection of both but maybe not quite the same...
> She's definitely queer though.)

Oh, explicitly so. <3 It's interesting, because January *pines*. She is a Very
Romantic despite her theoretical detachment - she's seriously never gotten over
Lass Lady.

>> It's extremely messy and amazing. :3
>
> Thanks! I've been trying to loosen up a bit more lately and get back
> to that Old LNH kind of messiness (while also having more manageable
> plots than I sometimes do).

This is definitely that. <3 It definitely feels like it was written in a day?
But holy crap? There's so much of it? :D

Drew "it feels like a chapter of Retcon Hour or such that way" Perron