LNH: Another LNH Title? Really: FCBD Special (warning: long)

Adrian McClure mrfantastic7 at gmail.com
Sun May 7 21:08:06 PDT 2017

On Sun, May 7, 2017 at 1:53 AM, Drew Perron <pwerdna at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/6/2017 11:59 PM, Adrian McClure wrote:
>> Kyoko Ishikawa, the team's long-suffering receptionist
>

> I like how she's just *The* Receptionist nowadays. X3 We all want to use her

We should maybe think about introducing new receptionists, tho. One of
my recent themes has been thinking about Classic LNH as something
that's been around long enough it has different generations, and how
the old heroes interact with the new heroes and stuff, so it'd be nice
to extend that theme to the receptionists.

>> "OK," said Merissa. "WikiBoy, do you think you can turn into a diamond
>> demon robot who also has the power to disguise us as diamond demon
>> robots?"
>>
>> "I guess so," he said.
>

> Aw, she's asking. :>

Note that there's a pretty huge character milestone in this issue
(which I might have been too subtle about--I often try to convey
things by inference and I worry about not signalling them enough):
when he becomes WikiGambit, WikiBoy suggests his own form for the
first time.

>> "If you don't want
>> to fight with WikiGambit, dere's much more fun ways to spend our time,
>> eh?" He winked at Steve Diamond, who just stared, confused.
>

> oh my god XD It's creepy when Real Gambit does it but it's *hilarious* here

Part of that is that Marvel inexplicably thinks Gambit, a guy who
wears a bright magenta shirt, is straight.

>> "ENOUGH!" Steve Diamond waved his arm, sending his cape swooshing
>> behind him, and everyone froze in place. "This writer really likes
>> that maneuver, huh?" said Token Girl.
>

> Imperial battleship! Stop the flow of time!

ZA WARUDO! Wait, that's not until--I mean--*whistles innocently*

>> "You know, the younger LNHers. Us plus Merissa and Poignant Death Lass
>> and whoever else comes along. So would we be Generation ZZ? Or wait, I
>> got it--The L-Terminators!"
>

> Oh my god. XD Is Footnote Girl in there? How about Fairy Princess Lad?

I've wanted to bring Fairy Princess Lad back for a long time, so yeah!

>> A harsh blue aura with red edges emerged around Kid Occultism Kid's
>> body, joining with Merissa's intense red with blue edges.
>

> ooooooh. Mystical. :o They're not ultimately so different

I was specifically thinking of the whole Red Oni, Blue Oni trope
(TVTropes veterans represent)

>> Cat shook her head. "Haha, no. Of course not. You know me--always a
>> bridesmaid, never a bride. I mean, I like reading about relationships,
>> I like helping other people get into relationships... I'd like one
>> myself, someday, maybe, but I have no idea what that'd look like for
>> me. Right now I'm fine how I am. How about you?"
>

> Fascinating. I get definite queer vibes, but like... maybe ace-spectrum?

Yeah that's pretty much how I've always seen her. She's basically a
light-side Emma Frost, and I've always seen her that way too--someone
who has sometimes been reduced to Sexy but as a telepath, her
engagement with sex is as much about exploring and messing with
peoples emotions and perceptions of it as the physical act itself.

(January Frost is a reflection of both but maybe not quite the same...
She's definitely queer though.)

>> Good lord. I thought up the basic outline for this story last night,
>> and had no idea it would turn out to be this long. I only just managed
>> to post it on the day. That's why this story might be a bit rough.
>

> It's extremely messy and amazing. :3

Thanks! I've been trying to loosen up a bit more lately and get back
to that Old LNH kind of messiness (while also having more manageable
plots than I sometimes do).

--
Adrian "The Dark Spaceknight" McClure, now with sig