META/LNH: A Question For the Community

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Thu Mar 23 19:38:57 PDT 2017

On 2017-03-22 15:54, the-deeman at webtv.net wrote:
> On Wednesday, March 22, 2017 at 3:46:39 PM UTC-4, Drew Perron wrote:
>> So... as a budding Actual Goshdarn Professional Writer, I've started a
>> Patreon. (Over at https://www.patreon.com/Ununnilium , if you're
>> interested~) What I've been doing is putting my writing up there a day
>> or two before I post it elsewhere. And I wanted to ask if it's okay to
>> do that with LNH stories. They involve a lot of other people's
>> intellectual property, after all, so I wanted to check with the
>> community before putting them up in a context that's technically making
>> me money.
>>
>> Drew "not a lot, so far, but~" Perron
>
> Always want to be careful when things go beyond so called "fan
> fiction" when using other people's intellectual property especially
> when you're making money from it. Could lead to legal action.

LNH stories have a good rule about intellectual property:  "Free for
Use" or not.  I've used some LNH characters myself, in Powernaut
stories.  I've had other guest stars too, usually with permission.  In
the unlikely event that Powernaut comics should ever make a profit, I
intend to share it with the creators of guest stars.  We might always
quibble over percentages, but the intent is there.

That said, Drew...  I would be okay with (say) Skrajny the Multi-Naut
exhibiting Powernaut powers and showing up in your Patreon.  Or maybe
Clueless Lad could show up.  I'd be amused to hear my share of the
profits from any such enterprise, though I suspect you could just buy me
a drink if we ever meet and then we'd be even.  8{D>

I know. - Archie Andrews