MISC: The Girl Who Saved The World Part 59

George Phillies phillies at 4liberty.net
Fri Mar 10 20:47:41 PST 2017

BUNCOMBE AND VERA DURAND-- they do an inteview

  Chapter Eleven

The Lafayette Laboratory

Compere Biological Sciences Building

Rogers Technological Institution

January 15, 2018

Early afternoon

“Pardon me?” The voice at the door to Allison Moreland’s lab came from a
tall young woman with raven- black hair, conservatively dressed in gray
vest and trousers.

“Yes?” Moreland answered.Moreland was short, solidly built, her
sparkling blue eyes being flanked above by dark hair pulled into
ponytail, and below by a long white lab coat that yielded to blue jeans
and sneakers before reaching the floor.“May I help you?”

“Sorry to bother you, but I’m trying to find Professor Lafayette’s
office, and the map says here.” The speaker waved an RTI map.

“She’s in class. She should be out of teaching in a bit,” Alison
answered.“The office is down the hall. The map is wrong. Oh, I’m Allison
Moreland, the senior post-doc.Is there something that I can help you with?”

“I’m Krystal North,” the woman in the door answered.“Yes, that Krystal
North. I need to talk to her about something last night.” Moreland
smiled politely.Krystal North not in garb looked very little like the
same woman dressed as a combat persona.

“Professor Wells and daughter?” Allison asked.“Professor Lafayette told
me about it, in case anyone showed up looking for her, not that it
wasn’t in the morning Boston Post.”

“The Post?” Krystal asked, sounding a bit crestfallen.

“With pictures,” Allison answered.“Of you and your Grandmaster friends
and Speaker Ming outside their home.The snow if not the wind had briefly
died down, and one of the neighbors had come back to Boston to check on
his house. He took some photos as you left. We need to wait for Morgana;
I’m sure she didn’t tell me everything. Would you like some
tea?Fresh-brewed, in the group office, of course, not in the lab.”

“That would be very kind of you.I’ve been running so much I missed
breakfast,” Krystal answered.

“There are scones,” Allison answered.“I baked them myself, packed with
raisins and hazelnut flour, and caramel icing.I try to keep things on
hand, just in case we have another, ummh, distinguished visitor.”

“Distinguished visitor? Me?” Krystal asked.“I’m just a civil servant.”

“You.Distinguished. Also, this Department has six Nobel Laureates,
fourteen members of the National Academy, a Fields Medalist that Course
18 keeps trying to steal from us, not to mention on occasion a Lord of
Eternity.So I keep refreshments available, except when Dr. Ashton has
baked his chocolate brownies. Well, there is a little baked brownie
under the chocolate orange mocha icing,” Allison said, “so they are
brownies.” She led Krystal down the corridor.

The group office had comfortable chairs, a large central table, desks
facing the sweeping windows, a massive video screen covering most of one
wall, and at the far end of the room a refrigerator, microwave, coffee
and tea service, and what was clearly a covered tray piled high with
scones. Standing with back to the doorway was Morgana Lafayette, making
final adjustments to the coffee brewer. “Allison, Krystal, good morning.
I got out of class early,” she announced, not turning around to see who
was behind her, “and I’m just loading up the Jamaica Blue Mountain,
fresh-ground. But it’s good to see you, Krystal, even if I have to
disengage my hands from the machinery before I can face you to say
hello. Just a second.” She extracted herself from the brewing system and
turned to her guests. “Krystal, it really is good to see you under
conditions where nothing unpleasant is likely to happen. I see despite
the cover of blizzard we managed to get ourselves in the newspaper.
Fortunately, being someone’s champion is a matter of public record, so
there won’t be a lot of Nosy Parkers asking questions about who I am.
Well, someone might wonder why I was Janie’s champion, but there’s a
good cover story that is even true.”

“Blue Mountain?” Allison asked. “Isn’t that a tad expensive?” Like $200
a pound? she thought.

“I wouldn’t make a habit of it,” Morgana said, “but I did notice Krystal
arriving at the Institution teleport stages and figured I should have
things ready for an honored friend and guest. Allison, I hate to do
this, but the shared project group meeting is in five minutes in 26-450
and you are the only person other than me who actually understands what
we are about to do. As I have the guest, I get to ask you to run the
meeting. I believe this was the occasion on which were going to tell
everyone what we are actually doing, since as far as I can tell none of
them have quite figured it out.”

“Yes, Ma’am,” Allison bowed her way out of the office.

“A project so secret that the people working on it don’t know what it
is?” Krystal asked. “That sounds really clever. What could it be? Not
that I’m prying if it’s a real secret.”