DIVA/WISP: Time Enough For Tea #6

deucexm deucexm at gmail.com
Thu Jun 15 13:26:44 PDT 2017

This is the finale, folks.  At least for now.  It's been a very personal thing for
me, as this is based largely on conversations between me and my therapist (this
final part not so much), but it has been a delight to write and to read all of the

That being said: enjoy!

TIME ENOUGH FOR TEA: A DiVerse Alpha Chronicle
by Colin Stokes

06

"Okay, /now/ I think we're in a hurry," Celia began, gripping her staff and making
the jewel glow brightly.  "There's no way the power I just released could possibly
go unnoticed."  Her satellites formed up behind her in a triangular phalanx, their
combined gaze covering the entire chamber.  "And if possible, I'd like to leave on
friendly terms."

"As would I!" Laurel assured her cheerfully.  "But I think that might require some
explanation."  They gestured to the room's sole entrance as it opened with the same
vaguely ominous hiss of pressure equalization as always.  In strode another harried
government official (there was always another), wearing the traditional black
bodysuit with the green V-mask and gloves.

Celia blinked.  Normally they removed the mask and gloves before waking her up; it
was more of a defensive posture, which wasn't really merited when talking to her.
Or rather, when talking to Critical Eye, she amended internally.  "I can explain,"
she began evenly, one hand firmly on her staff; /no one/ was taking it this time.

"I'm not sure there's much need at this point," the official returned, his voice a
mix of 'grumpy' and 'peeved' that fit him even better than his tailored clothing.
"Particularly not with your /visitor/ here.  Tell me, Silverblood," he continued,
turning to Laurel, "have you come to steal away /another/ guardian from the needy?
We're not so well-defended as the other frontier worlds, you know."

Laurel's smile vanished for the barest of moments.  "One, that's very rude of you,
and two, I shan't rise to your provocation," they returned in prim, clipped tones.
"The guardian, who you imply belongs to you - she doesn't, by the way, and she most
/certainly/ owes you nothing after what you've coerced her into - has graciously
decided to assist you by striking at the source of the Void incursions."

"Before she leaves us permanently, is what /you're/ implying," the official snapped
back with a clench of his gloved fists.  He was clearly not pleased, Celia noted,
another uncharacteristic display of... well, a display of /anything/, really.

"Be that as it may, it will still be a vast improvement on your current state of
affairs," Laurel returned, back to smiling once again, though it had a slight edge
to it still.  Celia pondered asking about 'Silverblood', and filed the word away
for another time as she stepped forward, her satellites lensing open all at once.

"I've made my decision," she said unequivocally.  "Otherwise I wouldn't be holding
my staff right now."  She gripped it a little more tightly, took a breath, and let
it out.  "I've appreciated the... opportunity to serve this world and its people.
Can we not simply leave it at that, and part ways without doing anything we might
regret?  /All/ of us, I mean."

Silence - thick and tension-filled - reigned for a long moment.  Then:

"The boss isn't going to like this," the official half-sighed, relaxing his hands,
"but I'll figure something out.  You, uh... you really think you can take out those
/things/ at their source?  Because - well, you know what that would mean."

"I know," Celia returned with a little sigh of her own.  "And, honestly?  I don't
know for sure.  But it's worth trying.  Especially since I'll /really/ be able to
go all-out this time around."

The official clasped his gloved hands.  "Then I wish you all the luck, ma'am."

Laurel smiled, Celia bowed, and both of them walked out of the chamber unimpeded.

And so it was that day that Viverde lost its Guardian; but in return, the universe
will receive a treasure of far greater worth, whose name may yet echo in whispers
among the stars:

PUREHEART.