MISC/HCC: The Queen's Roast, a fairy-tale

Drew Perron pwerdna at gmail.com
Mon Jun 12 22:27:29 PDT 2017

On 6/11/2017 10:13 PM, Adrian McClure wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 11, 2017 at 8:54 PM, Tom Russell <joltcity at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> This is intentional on my part, and it really has to do with being much more aware >> of trans and non-cisgendered folks-- of even being aware of what "cisgendered"
>> means.
>
> I'm pretty sure the first time I heard that word was... like, 2014?
> Sometime after I'd realized I was genderfluid (when someone sent me an
> ask on tumblr about my clothing style and I realized I was
> uncomfortable revealing my gender and then realizing why).

Man, I'm not sure when I first heard the word... relatively recently,
considering I've been involved in trans stuff since the early '00s. @-@ (And yet
didn't realize my own genderfluidity until around the same time as Adrian.
There's a whole thing here about how having a really narrow definition of

> I had doubts about that and other Catholic doctrines for a long time,
> but I didn't fully let go of all that until 2012 or so, partially as a
> result of meeting Drew and the big flamewar we had back then. That was
> part of why I reacted as vehemently as I did. There were definitely
> aspects of that I could have handled better. But that was when I
> realized that I didn't want to be on the side of the bullies, and then
> that led to me completely change my beliefs and sense of self.

That last sentence is just. That's what it means to be a superhero. :>

> I think dealing with difficult/fucked up emotions and facing up to
> that has been one of the strengths of your work since I've been
> writing here.

Agreed!

> I also feel pretty depressive and a lot of my stories
> are about facing up to that stuff and trying to find joy on the other
> side. Not surprisingly, that's particularly marked with Victoria. A
> lot of my work for her has been about her trying to find some kind of
> happiness and community while also dealing with issues that can't be
> easily overcome.

It took me a long time to fully understand that, like, being depressed/anxious
and working thru it, but still finding happiness even though you're still in the
middle of it - how important that is.

> Drew's ability to channel unrestrained queerness and joy has been a
> continual inspiration for me.

awwwww gee!! ^###^

Drew "that's SPECTACULAR" Perron