MISC/HCC: The Queen's Roast, a fairy-tale

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Mon Jun 12 08:02:22 PDT 2017

On 2017-06-11 19:13, Adrian McClure wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 11, 2017 at 8:54 PM, Tom Russell <joltcity at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> This is intentional on my part, and it really has to do with being
>> much more aware >of trans and non-cisgendered folks-- of even being
>> aware of what "cisgendered" >means.
>
> I'm pretty sure the first time I heard that word was... like, 2014?
> Sometime after I'd realized I was genderfluid (when someone sent me an
> ask on tumblr about my clothing style and I realized I was
> uncomfortable revealing my gender and then realizing why). And after
> I'd decided Victoria was trans. (There were hints of that in
> Looniverse Y #14.)

For my characters, the sexuality is usually about as relevant as (for
instance) the landscape of Ketchikan-Alaska.  (This statement kind of
fits the author too.)  But if a story describes landscape or sexuality
in detail, it had best get it right.

About five years ago, I described the sexuality of recent characters.  I
can only think of a couple of elaborations since then.

- Powernaut 2005 ("Coach Powernaut") is about as manly as anything, but
his sexuality is basically irrelevant.  Apparently, he was not even
sexually reproduced.

- On the other hand, Powernaut 1968 ("Professor Powernaut") was around
for the 1960s - most likely in San Francisco.  He may not be actively
sexual today, but anything goes with his history.

>> I very much envy Drew's ability to write rad queer characters
>> without ever wallowing-- and to write young people generally.
>> That's one reason why I tapped him to do KAIJU KORPS (hi Drew!),
>> because I know if I wrote it, the whole thing would collapse
>> pretty quickly.
>
> Drew's ability to channel unrestrained queerness and joy has been a
> continual inspiration for me.

I'll go with "envy" here.  (hi Drew!)  I don't usually feel the need to
explore sexuality in my stories.  But I have borrowed Drew's characters
on occasion, so I hope I get them right.

I know. - Archie Andrews