DIVA/WISP: Time Enough For Tea #3

deucexm deucexm at gmail.com
Thu Jun 1 11:45:46 PDT 2017

Continuing on, little by little.  I've already got some far-reaching ideas for the
way this one could turn out, but who's to say where it will go?  I prefer to let
the characters sort of decide things on their own.

TIME ENOUGH FOR TEA: A DiVerse Alpha Chronicle
by Colin Stokes

03

Laurel set out two teacups and poured the tea.  Steaming vapors rose from the tan
liquid as they set the kettle down, nudging one of the teacups across the table
without a word.

After a while, Critical Eye lowered her hands, eyes still closed, and took a deep
breath.  "That smells really good," she murmured quietly, evasively.

"Please, have some," Laurel encouraged her.  "I did make it for you, after all."

Without opening her eyes, the lady took the handle of the teacup and lifted it,
blowing on the surface for a moment before taking a sip.  "It's good," she mused,
and sipped again.

Laurel waited patiently for their host to speak first, a quiet smile on their
lips as they took a sip of their own tea.

Another moment of relative silence passed, and then: "I didn't expect to hear
that name again."

"Does it upset you?"

Critical Eye shook her head, eyes still closed.  The satellites let her see well
enough, even if she was intentionally limiting them.  "I... I left it behind.  I
promised to let it go and just be what this world needed, be who everyone needed
me to be.  A guardian."

Laurel rested their chin on one hand.  "What about what /you/ need?"

She lowered her teacup, and said nothing.  The silence was deafening this time.

"I know who you really are," Laurel began, as delicately as possible, "and what
you are.  And what the staff means.  You're not the first of your kind, nor will
you be the last, I think.  And what's more..."  They hesitated for a moment,
waiting for a response, an interjection, anything; and when none came, they
continued.  "The staff - /your/ staff - isn't something you should just give up
like that.  No matter what anyone promises or offers you, it isn't worth throwing
away a part of yourself."

Critical Eye's knuckles whitened around the teacup, just the tiniest bit.

"I'm sorry if I've said a little much," Laurel offered.  "But the way you are now
- honestly, I'm worried about you."

"You barely know me at all."

Laurel just smiled, a little sadly.  "As I said, you're... not the first."

Critical Eye lifted her head to look at her guest, and saw for the first time the
concern - and the pain - in the depths of those eyes.  She almost wanted to ask
about it, but couldn't bring herself to; a larger part of her didn't want to
know, didn't want to hear.  Maybe another day, but not now.  "You have my staff?"
she asked, instead.

"I do.  Not here, so as not to violate your agreement, but close by."  Laurel
took another sip of tea.  "All you have to do is ask, and I will hand it over."

"And what do you want in exchange?"

"I want you to do something only you can do."  Laurel finished off their tea
before continuing.  "Not as Critical Eye, but as Celia Pureheart."