MISC: The Girl Who Saved the World 51

George Phillies phillies at 4liberty.net
Mon Sep 19 18:39:00 PDT 2016

I have been convinced the I need to do a major rewrite.

“Ah, yes, the original agenda. Eclipse and how she escaped. Is there an
issue here?”  The Ambassadors glowered.  “Valkyria,” Holmgren said, “Can
you add anything to what happened afterward?”

“Rolf,” she answered, her use of the first name reminding her audience
of the ill-kept secret that she was also Lindgren’s mistress, or perhaps
the other way around, “there is a written report with video support,
which hopefully all of you have had time to study.  Let me, however,
note that the broadcast video of my conversation with the Bearer does
not completely agree with what I remember her saying. The actual events
appeared to be a scenario that we’d examined very thoroughly, namely the
‘politely declines to cooperate’ option.  The plan was not perfect. I
believe one of Markgraf Moeller’s excellent volumes on tactics treats
plan failure.  The first failure was that the Bearer does not look like
all the drawings we are distributing.  She’s considerably shorter than I
am, enough that at first I thought she was not the Bearer, and could not
imagine who she was. It did not help that the Maze was doing time
distortion, so that my teleport to St. Brendan’s Isle took some hours to
complete.  Based on Eclipse’s a
ctions in the Maze, we thought we had a good estimate of her gifts,
namely close to none.  We appeared on Atlanticea with what should have
been overwhelming strength. The ancient American aphorism is ‘If a
company seems enough, send in a division.  That way no one gets hurt.’
We’ve had time to do a complete reconstruction.  Eclipse was a solid
target, not an illusion.   Most attacks on Eclipse found their target.
All six of my team drains were drawing at full capacity.  Lady Sylph is
emphatically certain: The Screaming Skull hit Eclipse with his death
command.  I hit her with the Katana of Justice. All that, and Eclipse’s
defenses did not go down.”

“She used the Namestone?” Elizaveta Romanoff asked. The Russian
Ambassador’s interruption was only almost a question.

“The Copper Book of Harvest Stars is completely clear,” Valkyria
answered calmly.  “The Wizard of Mars agreed, a very expensive question
to have had answered.  The Bearer needs several days to mesh with
Namestone’s powers. Until then, Namestone supplies a few cosmetic
tricks, no more. Observe that Eclipse’s garb was immaculate, and her
face was unmarred. That was all the Namestone did for her.  No, Eclipse
stood up to us using her own shields. If she had a team backing her,
they did a darn fine job of remaining invisible the whole time, not to
mention fooling six Drains and a Seer. I am less bothered that we didn’t
take her down, and more bothered that the Screaming Skull didn’t appear
to have discomfitted her. Perhaps I should also be bothered that she did
not give the Martyr her private persona name. The Copper Book says that
that is a requirement for being given the Namestone. Somehow she managed
to dodge answering his question.”

“Someone who stands up to the Skull? Is there such a person?” Legate
Hong asked.

Valkyria rested her chin on her fingertips. “Other Lords of Eternity. A
few persona from ancient history.  Ambassador Featherstonehaugh’s
illustrious ancestor, Morgan La Fey. The Goetic Knights wore enchanted
armor, armor superior to mine.  The Marik Master of Parades supposedly
wore the Invincible Sigil of the Eternal Procession. This Eclipse person
is none of the above. However, manifestly, there is such a person,
because I hit her square on with the Katana of Justice, and during the
explosion her force field did not waver.”

“If I may?”  Prince Wang, ambassador of the Celestial Republic of the
Han, rarely spoke. “We are not, Valkyria excepted, masters of the art of
battle strategy. We should give those who are masters of battle our
thoughts, not spend time chatting about tactics as the amateurs we are.
  However, I believe I see why we missed the range of her gifts.  She
neglected to use them.  She did not quite attain the ultimate feat of
brilliancy ‘defeat your enemy without doing anything’, but she was
parsimonious in her choice of methods.  While in the Maze, she never
teleported, mostly showed human resistance to heat and cold, played City
of Steel well but not brilliantly.  Until we attempted to kill her, she
could have been a very well trained ungifted woman.  Twenties perhaps
sounds young. She might have a touch of the gift of agelessness.
Perhaps Valkyria can explain what I am missing.”

“The Copper Book explains this,” Valkyria answered.  “The Lesser Maze
tests determination, purity of thought, cleverness, strength of mind,
and  physical and mental training, not enormity of power.” Unless,
Valkyria thought, you cheat by presenting the Maze with an artificial
construct that has no mental weaknesses. Alas, the construct was not
quite ready to enter the Maze before this Eclipse showed up. “Thus
Cortez and Fisher, the latter’s fleet being infinitely more powerful
than the former’s, could come equally close to victory.   Your
description may explain how Eclipse escaped.  The capture strategy, in
the few hours tactical support teams in Europe had to insert fine
detail, inferred her gifts from her acts in the Maze. We hit her vastly
harder than should have been needed, given the gifts she had shown.
After all, everyone who has ever tried to walk the Maze, whether the two
chess grandmasters or any of the World-Class personas, has while in the
Maze used all of their talents to their uttermost limits.  She didn’t.”

“She cheated!” Lord Featherstonehaugh interjected.

“A different answer.” Saigo Shigetoshi, Legate of the Satsuma Daimyo,
did not officially represent his country.  The Shogun’s Court could deny
responsibility for what he said.  “Do not fear.  At the end, as foretold
by the Harvest Stars, Eclipse had a choice.  She could reach out and
take the Namestone. Or she could ask, and be given it if she was worthy.
  I am totally confident.  She asked.  She received the Namestone freely.”

“Asked? When she could have taken it? She shows she is weak!” Markgraf
Moeller grumbled.

“Then I must humbly pray that we never have to contend with a strong
persona bearing the Namestone,” Legate Hong whispered.

“Thus,” Saigo continued, “as she is as worthy as the Martyr, who read
her soul before granting her the stone, she is no danger to anyone.
However, she may defend herself. Such acts might have less than ideal
consequences to nearby places, for example the neighboring continent.
Accordingly, the Satsuma Domain will not find it entirely convenient at
this time to participate in attempting her capture.”