SW10/WWW: Powernaut 2006 #12: What? Ultimate Darkness?

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Wed Sep 7 18:18:54 PDT 2016

Powernauts may have found something they can't beat...  Powernaut 2006
Part One, TO BE CONCLUDED!

http://www.eilertech.com/stories/powernaut/2006.htm#12

For years now, I've considered how quickly I could (ahem) cover the
world in Ultimate Darkness so as to quiet my enemies, provided I could
summon it and make it grow exponentially.  I figure:  five seconds to
cover my body in Darkness; five more to cover several square blocks;
five more to cover a county or metro area; and five more after that to
cover the Earth.  Fifteen seconds after *that*, I'd blot out everything
inside the orbit of Jupiter...  So, yeah, Powernauts vs. Ultimate
Darkness is a very quick fight.  Heh.

Bonus Section: Commentary from Wyatt Ferguson! All Those People Who
Still Have Powers

So, apparently there was a superpowered fight among people in a
detention camp for *depowered* superhumans.  I imagine a lot of people
just ducking for cover...  But how could that be?

Aside from the Powernaut, I blame magic.  Evil Mages went through an
elaborate ritual to summon power from beyond the universe, and used
"Crack Hitler" as their focus.  They used some rudimentary Doom
Creatures for that purpose.  Doom Creatures stayed on Earth, and never
got depowered by aliens.  *These* were low-powered anyway, at least
compared to (say) the Doom Bear.  Of course, when universes were
breached, a conduit was open for Vara Hosea (our world's second best
mage, and my *superior* as a Champion of Death - see
http://www.eilertech.com/stories/death.htm) to tap power to more-or-less
match the Powernaut.

Still, I have to explain one other...  Remember the Giant Toe Which
Thrashes Men Severely?  (2006 #3!)  It *made it through* the Alien
Powerdown (http://www.eilertech.com/stories/2005/journal_melon.htm). But
the power *source* was outside the toe.  *That's* what got powered down.
  Until the toe *spent* its power, it had its power!  And my friend
Toejam hoarded that one last toe... until his bus full of
*relatively*-defenseless lady dancers got invaded!  Of course, they were
all highly skilled, and they had (DJ) Ellipsis *plus* the Powernaut on
board... but that's another story.  I shall have to get interviews for
that one someday.

There may be some other anomalies, but I think I've got most of them now.

I know. - Archie Andrews