SW10/WWW: Powernaut 2006 #13: Get Ready for Reality Shift!

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Sat Oct 1 17:07:10 PDT 2016

On 2016-10-01 12:21, Drew Perron wrote:

>>> Hmmmm. I love the idea of it just being the greater *scope* of
>>> existence. But the whole "oh well if you approach it and you're
>>> confident YOU GET SMASHED" feels a little... I dunno, trying too hard to
>>> be badass? ^^; I dunno, it just feels *tonally* at odds.
>>
>> When you've swallowed every universe, you don't have to *try* to
>> be badass. Besides, that's almost exactly how Ultimate Darkness vs.
>> the Swamp Thing went. It was basically the *theme* of that
>> episode... though admittedly, everyone other character made it
>> about Good vs. Evil, not Light vs. Darkness. (You should have seen
>> what happened to the Spectre.) But in my own writings, I'm not so
>> much about Good and Evil. People don't measure Goodness or sign
>> Evil Oaths, after all. So I've made it about whether one is really
>> scared by the Darkness. 8{D>
>
> See, I agree. <3 But it feels like... you're saying if you're scared of
> the Darkness, you'll be protected from it? And if you're *not* scared,
> you'll be destroyed by it? And that seems thematically wrong. XD
>
> Drew "or something like that; my criticisms tend to start as intuitive
> feels that I try to put into words and only sometimes express well" Perron

Then I'm probably expressing it wrong.  Let me try again...

I hear that many people who operate boats on the ocean, feel the ocean
has a personality - which often changes.  The sailors may accommodate
the ocean, or challenge it.  But if they challenge it, they'd best be
damn ready to survive - or else the ocean will smash them down.

Ultimate Darkness is much the same way.

I know. - Archie Andrews