8FOLD: Mighty Medley # 34, November 2016, by Messrs. Brenton, McClure, and Russell

Tom Russell joltcity at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 17:03:17 PST 2016

-------------EIGHTFOLD PROUDLY PRESENTS-------------
##     ## ####  ######   ##     ## ######## ##    ##
###   ###  ##  ##    ##  ##     ##    ##     ##  ##
#### ####  ##  ##        ##     ##    ##      ####
## ### ##  ##  ##   #### #########    ##       ##
##     ##  ##  ##    ##  ##     ##    ##       ##
##     ##  ##  ##    ##  ##     ##    ##       ##
##     ## ####  ######   ##     ##    ##       ##
-------------- ISSUE # 34    NOV 2016 --------------
##     ## ####### ########  ##       ###### ##    ##
###   ### ##      ##     ## ##       ##      ##  ##
#### #### ##      ##     ## ##       ##       ####
## ### ## ######  ##     ## ##       ######    ##
##     ## ##      ##     ## ##       ##        ##
##     ## ##      ##     ## ##       ##        ##
##     ## ####### ########  ######## ######    ##
----------------------[8F-173]----------------------
-----------SAXON BRENTON--ADRIAN McCLURE------------
--------------------TOM RUSSELL---------------------
--------------- Editor, Tom Russell ----------------

CONTENTS OF THIS ISSUE

"Tiny Balcony"
   by Tom Russell

An unexplainable need to escape at two in the morning. Smiling at your
own hands. An unexpected gesture from an unconventional source.

"The Science-Blades of Terra Alter" Part 6
   by Adrian McClure

"A bright sharp scent like lilacs." The quality of light. Terra Alter
is as strange to Elaine as she is to its inhabitants.

"Emily's Room"
   by Tom Russell

It's easy to turn a blind eye to injustice when you don't see the
victims as people. Someone stands up, but too late.

"Recreational Reading"
   by Saxon Brenton

The Gardener returns. Books and magic are discussed, though really, as
all our readers know too well, they are one and the same thing.

"Stealth Mission" Part 1
   by Tom Russell

Beginning: a short espionage adventure, short being the operative word.

--------------------TINY BALCONY--------------------
------------Copyright 2016 Tom Russell--------------

At about two in the morning, Cal's stomach starts knotting up, acid
reflux climbing up her throat. She can't stop clenching and
unclenching her fists. She has to get out of her tiny bedroom. Then
her tiny bathroom. Her tiny kitchen, her tiny dining room, her tiny
breakfast nook. She can't stay in any of them, so she goes out onto
her tiny balcony overlooking Dot's living room.
   "Are you alright?" whispers a low monotone.
   "Hey Medusa," says Cal. "Don't really want to talk right now."
   "Well, what would you like to do?"
   "Well, not talk."
   "I can run a training module for you."
   "You're not really getting this whole not wanting to talk thing, are you?"
   "I'm just concerned because your pulse and respiration are..."
   "Look," wheezes Cal, "I can feel it, right?" She thumps her fist
against her chest. "I don't need you to tell me what my pulse is. I
can feel the blood in my veins. Not just in my heart, but in my veins
and arteries. Pulsating, ready to pop. I don't need you to tell me
about my breathing. Obviously I'm having a problem, alright?"
   "..."
   "...Medusa, you still there?"
   "You told me you didn't want to talk."
   Cal lets out a tiny scream of frustration. "I know what I said! It
didn't mean that I mean it! Meant it. Whatever. Flipping grammar."
   "So, what happened?" says Medusa. "You were having a pretty good
day yesterday. I mean, you saved the Sub-Atomic Multiverse."
   "And by extension the Regular-Atomic Multiverse. And I got to
cleave Devil flipping Prince Satanor in two with my electric
battle-axe. So, yeah. Yesterday was lovely. Yesterday was great. If
that wasn't the best Friday of my life, it was top ten, easy. Not that
I have a list. Who makes a list of Fridays? I'm not a flipping nerd
(Simon). And everyone gave me high-fives. For once, it was like I knew
what I was doing, like I belonged. Well, not real high-fives,
obviously, they just said or texted me 'high-five', or sent me a
picture of cats high-fiving each other. But still. That was great. I
was great." She smiles at her hands. "I don't usually get to do
'great'. So, you know: what do?"
   "I've been perusing your medical records..."
   "Whoa, invade my privacy much? Perusing?"
   There's a sound on the other end that's suspiciously like a
muffled, frustrated sigh. "It says you're on some medication for
anxiety."
   "I was," says Cal. "And for once it's not my fault I'm off my meds.
Once I got shrunk down, all my meds stopped. Any dose that's big
enough to work its chemical magic is big enough to overdose. It's a
whole thing. They've had the same problem with people who get
pockets," the shrinking disease, "and they've never been able to get
any traction with it. But it's not that. I mean, I've been fine for
months. And now this. And this, Now. Why now, why right now, when I've
actually accomplished something for once?"
   Medusa is silent for a moment to give the appearance of collecting
her thoughts (little pauses like this work wonders when trying to
comfort humans). Then: "You're getting accolades, but maybe you're
worried people are going to see through you and realize that you
really had no idea what you were doing. But you did know what you were
doing, because Cal: you did it."
   "What if I can't do it again? This was a really close thing, almost
went wobbly more than once. Maybe next time I won't be so lucky.
They're looking at me and they think I can do this on the regular, but
what if I really can't?" Cal stops. "Wait, what's going on?
Something's squeezing me!"
   "That's me. I'm stimulating your nerve endings via your brain
through experimental sub-sonic frequencies to produce calming, steady
pressure."
   "You're giving me a hug." Cal's never been a hugger, and there's
something extra pathetic when the only one that can hug you is a
computer. It feels empty and meaningless. And yet, at the same time...

-----------------THE SCIENCE-BLADES-----------------
-------------------OF TERRA ALTER-------------------
-----------------------Part  6----------------------
-----------Copyright 2016 Adrian McClure------------

It was the scent that awakened her, a bright sharp scent like lilacs.
She opened her eyes to a room that held a towering empty space, a sort
of streamlined cathedral. That space was filled up by a massive
intricate machine, all humming tubes and crackling arcs of energy.
   "She's alive!" said an exultant voice from beside her. She saw a
figure standing above her, moving the dials and the levers, tall and
dignified, his wide and inquisitive eyes as dark as his skin. He wore
green robes and a golden circlet on his head.
   "My name is Taramon," he said, "of the Science Council. I am glad
to see you here. We have not had another visitor from another world in
many an age."
   "Uhhhh," said Elaine, who still felt like her thoughts were
surrounded by thick cotton wool. It would be a while before she
adjusted to the new sensations of this world. The quality of the light
was different, though she couldn't say how-- she'd never been able to
compare such things before.
   "Where's Antinea?" was the first thing she'd been able to spit out.
   "She is waiting for you," said Taramon. "Come." He gestured toward
the archway.
   Shaking, Elaine pulled herself off the slab and stood up. She saw
just what she was wearing-- a red skintight outfit which sparkled
under the crystalline lamps that hung from the distant ceiling. "Uh,"
she said. "Does everyone here dress like this?"
   Taramon nodded. "Except for the Council. I'll admit I miss those
sorts of outfits sometimes. The robes get devilish hot in the summer
months."
   Still wobbly, she followed him out of the room. While he was
wearing a mask of composure, a few little twitches and jerks showed
the situation was as strange to him as it was to her. So there was
that, at least.
   What she saw on the outside took her breath away. The towers were
even more astonishing up close than they were from a distance. Smooth
and elegant craft sailed through the air like swans--red, white, gold.
Swift monorails sped across the swooping tracks that wove through the
city.
   "I grew up in this city," said Taramon, "and have spent most of my
life in it, and I will admit, even I find it overwhelming at times."
   "I'll bet," whispered Elaine. "So, uh, how to get to the throne
room or whatever?" She didn't know if Antinea had a throne room, but
she seemed the type.
   Taramon gestured to one of the mini-craft that was docked by the
platform they stood on. Elaine hesitantly stepped into it, making a
point of not looking down. She felt seatbelts clasp into place around
her.
   Strangely enough, she found that she was missing her cat.

--------------------EMILY'S ROOM--------------------
------------Copyright 2016 Tom Russell--------------

So, here's the sitch: death traps, those insanely expensive and
inefficient puzzle rooms designed by black capes to murder their
costumed adversaries, went out of style decades ago, mostly because of
how insanely expensive and inefficient they were, cf. earlier this
sentence, but just like some millennial nerds decided to start coding
new computer games for the Commodore 64, death traps are experiencing
a weird sort of renaissance.
   "Trap geeks" create miniature, to-scale "rooms" that follow the
traditional rules of death traps: designed to counteract a specific
hero (or in the case of "party rooms", groups of heroes) and their
powers slash specialties. Each room has to have a "solve", a way for
the hero to get out of it. The solve has to be fair, derived from (a)
the abilities or gear commonly used by that hero ("a natural"), (b)
the contents of the room itself ("keyed"), or (c) a mix of the two
("hybrid"). These flipping nerds first started arguing about which
golden age black cape originated the trash compactor gag (specific
components of a room are called "gags", because who knows why) back in
the late nineties, but they didn't start building the tiny rooms and
calling themselves Darth Icky or whatever until a few years ago.
   Of course, you can't have a death trap without a hero to run
through it, but since all of them make a big show about how it's all
about the art form, and none of them would ever actually build a
full-scale "live room" (some of them have started designing
creepily-named "dead rooms", i.e., danger-free full-scale rooms that
take advantage of the whole room escape craze), it all remained
academic until some of the Trap geeks started designing tiny robots