8FOLD: Mighty Medley # 29, May 2016, by Messrs. Brenton, McClure, Russell, and Stokes

Drew Perron pwerdna at gmail.com
Tue May 31 18:45:18 PDT 2016

On 5/30/2016 10:49 PM, Adrian McClure wrote:
> On Sun, May 15, 2016 at 2:13 AM, Drew Perron <pwerdna at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 5/12/2016 7:11 AM, Tom Russell wrote:
<snip>
>>> It begins here: an epic for our times!
>>
>> WOO YEAH
>
> Of course reading back through this, I see all kinds of awkward syntax
> and editing problems... oh well.

I was just rereading LNH v2 #50 the other day and hoo boy. There's a bunch of
little continuity errors and stuff I would change now - but it's out, and that's
the important part. <3

>> Ahhhhh, man. :D So this *starts* with, not just the classic adventure, but
>> the aftermath of it and taking the Cool Poly Ending, and *then* carrying on
>> from *there*. Fascinating!
>
> Yeah, trying to start from the kind of point that other people would
> end with is a lot of what I've been doing.

Hell yeah. Let's push things to the next level!

> Liminals is another
> example--if I ever get that off the ground, anyway. It was inspired by
> Gillen and McKelvie's Young Avengers run and how that ended the team's
> cosmic journey and establishing everyone on the team as queer. The
> Liminals were coming off a simialr journey so I started thinking about
> that--what happens after the end of the party?

ooooooh. :D Heck yes. That's a great idea. Let's push things to the next level,
past the people who are *already* pushing things to the next level!

> (An observation: You tend to come up with new LNH characters all the
> time to reflect new ideas you're interested in, while I tend to
> overhaul my existing ones, or ones other people threw out for one-off
> stories and dropped, and add new layers to them.)

It's true! I've very much got altitis. But they're literally all such good
characters, and after all, the LNH is built on people throwing
evocative-but-basic characters into the common toybox and other people fleshing
'em out. We're both part of the tradition! :D

> I built this story from what I see as the core engagement of 8fold,
> based on the foundational stories that Tom and Jamie wrote, which is
> using evocatively weird oldschool comics stuff to tell stories about
> relationships and interiority.

Ohhhhhh, that's a really good way to put it. :D That's basically my purpose in life.

> In this case, the comics stuff is a
> lift from Adam Strange, a really underappreciated concept which DC
> seems to have forgot exists, which is probably a good thing.

Considering their current formula says that the only things to do with an alien
society are to make it a secret dystopia or to blow it up, yeah.

Drew "siiiiiiiiigh" Perron