8FOLD: Darkhorse # 3, "Like a Window To Your Heart"

Drew Perron pwerdna at gmail.com
Tue May 31 18:39:12 PDT 2016

On 5/30/2016 12:29 PM, Tom Russell wrote:
> On Saturday, May 28, 2016 at 12:49:04 PM UTC-4, Drew Perron wrote:
>> On 5/22/2016 8:34 AM, Tom Russell wrote:
>
>>>    Because all those things are science, even if they're weird
>>> science, and science everybody can understand. Scientifically-enhanced
>>> super-folk have been running around, in one form or another, for the
>>> better part of a century and a half. Magic (real, true, inscrutable
>>> magic) is something else entirely, and that makes Melody's skin crawl.
>>
>> It's always interesting where we draw our lines.
>
> One problem I always had with the X-books, in the context of the larger
 > Marvel universe, was the prejudice against mutants. I know it's kinda the
 > whole point (to some degree), but being afraid of mutants for having super-
 > powers doesn't make any sense in a world where the Fantastic Four are greeted
 > with open arms. I think being afraid of magic-- especially in a world where
 > super-stuff is very science and gadget oriented-- makes slightly more sense,
 > though fear is irrational in the first place.

See, I think this mindset really shows how such a nonsensical-yet-understandable
fear would apply, for mutants and mancers alike. The line between stuff that
happens in circumstances that you can handle, that you have some perceived
control over, and stuff that just comes out of nowhere.

>>>    "Tampon," he says. "She was yelling at me, accusing me of being a
>>> pervert, and I was trying to talk around it, but I just couldn't
>>> think, and I'm terrible at lying, did you know that I'm terrible at
>>> lying?"
>>
>> awwwww Simon. <3
>
 > It took the better part of ten years, but I've finally given Kate's siblings
 > something approaching distinct (and hopefully interesting!) personalities..

I definitely agree. <3

>>> I loved her! But she pushed me away. She let
>>> him in, but she pushed me away."
>>>    "I think you push back, Cal."
>>>    Cal runs her sleeve along her nose, carrying away fresh bubbly
>>> snot. "Yeah. It doesn't make it right, though."
>>
>> Damn. Good on you, Cal. That's not where I thought this was going. :>
>
> Out of curiosity, where did you think it was going?

I would say... it felt like the narrative was moving towards straightforwardly
treating her as awful. I mean, I thought you probably wouldn't do that, but that
was pretty strongly how it was reading? I dunno, feels awkward to say. X3

Drew "posting posting" Perron