8FOLD: Mighty Medley # 29, May 2016, by Messrs. Brenton, McClure, Russell, and Stokes

Adrian McClure mrfantastic7 at gmail.com
Mon May 30 19:49:54 PDT 2016

On Sun, May 15, 2016 at 2:13 AM, Drew Perron <pwerdna at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/12/2016 7:11 AM, Tom Russell wrote:
> <snip>
>>
>> "Science-Blades of Terra Alter" Part 1
>>    by Adrian McClure
>>
>> It begins here: an epic for our times!
>

> WOO YEAH

Of course reading back through this, I see all kinds of awkward syntax
and editing problems... oh well.

> Ahhhhh, man. :D So this *starts* with, not just the classic adventure, but
> the aftermath of it and taking the Cool Poly Ending, and *then* carrying on
> from *there*. Fascinating!

Yeah, trying to start from the kind of point that other people would
end with is a lot of what I've been doing. Liminals is another
example--if I ever get that off the ground, anyway. It was inspired by
Gillen and McKelvie's Young Avengers run and how that ended the team's
cosmic journey and establishing everyone on the team as queer. The
Liminals were coming off a simialr journey so I started thinking about
that--what happens after the end of the party?

(An observation: You tend to come up with new LNH characters all the
time to reflect new ideas you're interested in, while I tend to
overhaul my existing ones, or ones other people threw out for one-off
stories and dropped, and add new layers to them.)

I built this story from what I see as the core engagement of 8fold,
based on the foundational stories that Tom and Jamie wrote, which is
using evocatively weird oldschool comics stuff to tell stories about
relationships and interiority. In this case, the comics stuff is a
lift from Adam Strange, a really underappreciated concept which DC
seems to have forgot exists, which is probably a good thing.

--
Adrian "The Dark Spaceknight" McClure, now with sig

The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom.--William Blake