LNH: Classic LNH Adventures #18: The Omaha Project Part Five

Arthur Spitzer arspitzer at earthlink.net
Tue May 17 18:47:23 PDT 2016

In this weeks reposting of stuff you can find in the eyrie archive
https://archives.eyrie.org/racc/lnh/
we have part four of the infamous Omaha Project Cascade.

Chapter Fourteen and Fifteen are both by Mike Escutia.

Chapter Fifteen is the Pliable Lad Annual and has Pliable
Lad journeying through various other Universes and possible
futures.  (One of them being the Superguy imprint -- which
back when it was still alive was kind of a rival of the
LNH imprint.)

              _
             | |      Classic
             | |                      =
             | |      ____    ____    _    ____    ___
             | |__   | [] |  | [] |  | |  | [] |  | _ \

             |____|   \__]    \__ |  |_|   \__/   |_|\_\
                                |_|  OF NET.HEROES

                                     ADVENTURES #18

                         =====================
                      The Omaha Project Part Five
                         =====================

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

                                 Chapter 14
                    "The light at the end of the desert"
                     Mike Escutia (mre at christa.unh.edu)
    and the little light on the terminal that tells you it's turned on.

     No one could see them, but they were there.
     Beings of pure psychic form, possessing no bodies of their own.  What
they did possess, however, were incredible mental powers -- they could
probe all but the most resistant minds, and could possess most other
beings at will.  Until now, they had been confined to their native
dimension, a world of flat ground and blank-white sky.  Only now, there
was a doorway -- a doorway that connected their world with one teeming
with organic life.  Life that had physical form.  Life that was perfect
for takeover.
     Omaha.  The capital of Net.braska, and not too terribly far from the
doorway.  A teenage street hoodlum was currently in the middle of mugging
a young couple.
     "Gimme all yer money, pal!" the hoodlum ordered.
     "Please..." the young husband, barely seventy-two hours married, said
meekly, his mouth bleeding from where the punk had hit him.  "Take it.
Just don't hurt us..."  His wife stayed clings to his arm terrified.
     "Oh, I won't hurt ya," the youth smirked.  "But I might just decide
to do your lady."  The woman screamed in shock.
     The young punk was just about to tear the woman away from the man she
loved the most when all three of them felt something.  It was a feeling of
presence, of someone...some*thing* probing their minds and bodies.  And
then the feeling of losing control and blacking out, as if consciousness
was being overridden by a more powerful force.
     The young couple stood up straight while the teen put his gun away,
saving it for later.  All three were grinning evily from ear to ear.  They
were once normal, but now they were far from it.
     Just then, one of Omaha's finest came around the corner investigating
the screams of terror he had heard.  "Alright, what's going on--"
     He wasn't alive long enough to finish the sentence.
     Within minutes, Omaha was taken.
     The invasion had begun.

                    -=-=-=-=-                 -=-=-=-=-

     The land was flat for as far as they could see, with the occasional
tree dotting the horizon.  The sky was white, with no distinguishing
features or markings whatsoever.  There was no wind -- not even a breeze
-- and barely any moisture whatsoever.
     Pliable Lad and Tour Guide Girl walked hand-in-hand behind Drifter,
Easily-Discovered Man, Lite, Parking Karma Kid, Drifter, and Boy Lad.
Windrider circled above them, keeping an eye on the group and everything
around them.
     "...It seems so wierd," Touri was saying.  "A world like this.  Blank
sky, hardly anything on the ground....it seems lonely to me."
     "Yeah," Pli responded.
     "You've been quiet," Touri said.  "Is something wrong?"
     "You mean besides the fact that we're trapped in alien dimension
that's invading our own right now?"
     "Yeah, besides that."
     "Nothing really.  I've just been thinking," he told her.  "Trying to
figure this whole mess out."
     "Aren't we all?"
     "Yeah, I guess so."
     "Scared?" she asked him.
     "Yeah," he admitted.  "A little."  He put his arm around her shoul-
der, and she put her arm around his waist.  Together they walked, neither
one saying anything for a while.
     The group continued walking, heading towards a faint glow they had
seen off in the distance.  Boy Lad figured they wouldn't get anywhere by
just standing around, so he convinced them to investigate the light.  Lite
tried to crack some jokes and lighten the mood, but his efforts were was-
ted.  Boy Lad continued to lead the group, walking as if he knew *exactly*
where he was going.
     "Mind telling us why we're going to this light?" Drifter asked him.
     "That light," Boy Lad responded.  "is the center of the disturbance.
At least, it is on this side."
     "But I thought the center of the disturbance was the doorway," Park-
ing Karma Kid said.
     "No, they are different," Boy Lad said simply.
     ==He's lying,== Windrider thought to Drifter.
     --What?  Are you sure?--
     ==Yes.  It's the same force wave we detected earlier.==
     Drifter closed his eyes and tracked the wave.  --You're right!--
he replied after a moment.  --The force wave must breached the dimensional
walls here, and possibly other realities, too.--
     ==That still doesn't explain why he lied to us.== Windrider pointed
out.
     --You're right, it doesn't.  We should confer telepathically with
the others.-- Drifter suggested.
     ==But only one of them.  We don't want to risk letting Boy Lad know
we're on to him.== Windrider thought back.
     --Okay.  Who's the most experienced of them?--
     ==Either Pliable Lad or Parking Karma Kid.  Parking Karma Kid's been
in the LNH just a bit longer, but Pliable Lad's more mature.==
     --Let's go with Pliable Lad.--
     ==Right.== Windrider concentrated, forming a mental link with the
shapeshifting hero.  ==Pliable Lad.==
     Pli heard his name and looked up.  He was certain he had heard his
name being called, but nobody was looking at him.  {Weird,} he thought.
{Did somebody call me?} he wondered.
     ==Yes.  I did.== came Windrider's voice in the back of his mind.  Pli
had almost forgotten about the eagle's telepathy.  {Don't say anything,
just speak with your mind.  There is something you need to know...}
     Within a few minutes, Drifter and Windrider had relayed what they
knew about Boy Lad and the disturbance to Pli, and he carefully thought it
over.
     {So what are we going to do?} he thought to the other two, still
getting used to the telepathy.  It wasn't the same as the trick he could
pull in his own book with his supporting cast, but it was pretty close.
{We can't risk accusing him of lying -- we don't know how much power he
has.  Hrm.  Maybe that isn't even the real him.}
     ==Unfortunately, that's a *strong* possibility,== Windrider thought.
     --We're here.-- Drifter told the others.
     Indeed, they had arrived at the source of the light.  Whereas the
light coming from the crater was on the ground, this one was about six
feet above the ground, but still shimmering and shifting with the same
patterns.
     Pli noticed that Boy Lad had moved to one side of the group,
seemingly to let the others get a better view.  But for just an instant,
there was a look on his face that betrayed to anyone watching that he knew
more than he was telling.
     "Okay, now what?" Lite asked from where he was standing next to his
mentor.  Amazingly, the light made Easily-Discovered Man's costume look
better than it was.
     ==Now Boy Lad tells us what *else* he knows.== Windrider broadcasted
telepathically.  ==We have to know,== he added, though only Drifter and
Pliable Lad could hear him say that.
     "You're holding something from us, Boy Lad," Pli, who was closest to
him, said.  "What is it?"
     Boy Lad sighed and put a hand on Pli's shoulder.  "Do you really want
to know?" he asked.
     "Yes," Pli said.
     Suddenly, Boy Lad's face split into a broad, maniacal grin.  "Then
find out for yourself," he said as he quickly picked Pli up and threw him
into the light.
     With a flash, Pli was gone.