MISC: The Girl Who Saved the World 40

George Phillies phillies at 4liberty.net
Sun May 1 10:46:29 PDT 2016

Password Lord and His Three Trusty Companions would be delighted to go
on an adventure.

Patrick and Abigail looked at each other. “We’ve told both of them,”
Patrick said, “that if they ever want to talk to us they can. If they
want someone else to talk to, we can arrange that. They both said they
were entirely comfortable talking with you. What I didn’t expect, though
maybe I should’ve, is that Janie shared mind to mind with Brian what she
remembered. Brian wanted to be sure he understood what his sisters went
through. And they both said that Joe’s mom did something so they
remember what happened, but they don’t remember being frightened, and
they are not frightened when they think about it. Or did you help with
that?”

“I would’ve done that for them,” Morgana said, “but Joe’s mom did it
first. She did a very good job of it.” Morgana looked down at the table.
“Actaully, she did a truly fine job of it, and I can’t imagine sho she
is, either.  I could’ve taken care of their minds if they needed it.
Goddess only knows I’ve had enough practice healing people with
after-combat mental distress. What I meant to ask about was not what
must to you have been a horrifying few hours, but the physical details
of the persona combat.”

Abigail shook her head. “Trisha was out cold almost the whole time, and
Janie said she didn’t see very much except occasionally things got
bright. She was very busy shouting for help. She did pull Trisha over
the edge of a sand dune.”

“Janie shouting for help is how I got involved,” Morgana answered. “If
the two of them hadn’t been persona, the kidnappers would have ignored
them. If Janie hadn’t been so good at mentalics back then, the
kidnappers would probably have gotten away with it. One of the
kidnappers had a very strong mind screen, strong enough that Janie had
to be really loud to be heard outside. Fortunately, we heard her. But
when I met Janie and Trisha I could tell they were very deeply gifted,
and would be better off with a practiced hand guiding them. That was me.”

“In any event,” Morgana continued, pausing once and again for more
chicken,  “the press coverage of Joe saving Trisha and Janie made it
sound like the villains teleported out to Sand Crab Island, and in the
middle Joe somehow separated them from their pistol, following which the
Stars Over Boston came to the rescue. Then Joe got your daughters back
to you. The miscreants must’ve been seriously injured while resisting
arrest, because they all died that evening. None of that is false, but
there are some minor details left out.” Morgana paused to finish off
another croissant.

“Janie described Joe teleporting them to someplace in northern Canada
and then to Frog Pond Park,” Abigail said. “They were both worried about
Joe, because when they left him he was shivering.”

“Chills are common if you go way too deep into your gifts,” Morgana
explained. “And I really mean way too deep, not just a bit too deep.
That’s not surprising, given what he did. Fortunately, he or they moved
the whole thing to Sand Crab Island. That combat was not a couple of
guys wrestling over possession of a knife. Joe was the good-guy side of
the deepest power persona combat in New England since Crittenden’s War.
Joe is in the power range where he could level a city block of
brownstones with one blast, which is truly unusual for a boy his age,
the people on the other side were probably about as good, and the pistol
did not quite take down Joe’s shields was indubitably a Krell disruptor
pistol.  It’s a starcore weapon. If the villains had fired it at Boston,
they would have torched everything on the ocean side of Beacon Hill with
one shot. Assuredly it hit Joe’s shields, and his shields did not collapse.

"Joe won by himself, and on the way out grabbed the pistol and a Krell
shield bracer that had been protecting one of the miscreants. Until Joe
killed the fellow. Joe seems to have no compunctions about killing
people.  The Stars Over Boston got there after almost everything was
over. I am morally certain Joe teleported out with your daughters
because he saw me appear, not because he thought he was escaping the
villains.

“Then, afterward, something broke into Castle Island Prison, put the
guards to sleep without their noticing anything, hid its presence from
the three members of the Stars Over Boston who were also guarding the
place, and exfoliated the memories of the surviving villains,
incidentally killing them. The villains were very deeply tranquilized
and being given medical care. Mighty Mind was going to search their
minds carefully, but was waiting for the needed court order. Something
else did not wait.

"You may have heard about the ring of perverts in our country’s southern
neighbors, the ones who were kidnapping persona children and torturing
them to death? The people captured in Boston were their strike team. The
same night that the prisoners died, something appeared above their main
base, smashed down a very high power set of force fields, killed the
persona defending the place, and rescued a bunch of children.  The
political aftermath, when the detailed records were made public, is
still reverberating. People have heard the parts, but not connected the
dots.”

“Are Trish and Janie safe near Joe?” Abigail asked. “Isn’t it dangerous
to have personas that powerful wandering around in their vicinity? I’m
not counting you, of course.”

“The only time I’ve seen Joe use his powers, that from a distance, he
was protecting Trisha and Janie at what I hope he realized was a
considerable risk to his own life. Trisha and Janie have nothing to
worry about, so far as I can tell. Joe took a big chance to fight that
crew. I’m not sure whether or not he knew he was taking a chance. He may
have thought he would just stomp the people attacking Trisha and Janie
into the ground.

"I would’ve liked at least to speak to him. Many people owe him favors,
but he made no effort to collect. With that sort of power, unless you
have good training, your slight errors can get large numbers of people
killed.  Including you if you make a mistake. Also, someone put a geas
on your house. I find that bothersome. There aren’t a lot of people who
can do that, and none of them appear to have a motive.”

The wind gusted, hard enough that the shutters rattled.