MISC: Responses to Vol 152, Issue 23

Drew Perron pwerdna at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 12:36:21 PDT 2016

On Sunday, March 20, 2016 at 4:39:02 PM UTC-4, George Phillies wrote:
> >> year-older sister Jessamine Trishaset nodded enthusiastic agreement.
> >
> > Different last name? Interesting.
>
> that's her middle name.  She goes by "Trisha".

Ah! Okay.

> >> "Da-aad," Brian complained, not quite seriously.  "The other choice was
> >> getting stomped flat by a giant robot.  It could have appeared anywhere
> >> in Massachusetts, and it just had to appear right in front of my school.
> >
> > Y'know, I hate when that happens~
>
> Lord Roxbury's Spotter told him where the strongest local opposition
> was, so he started there first, so all else would cower before him.

Ahhhhh, interesting. I assume "Spotter" is a term for people who can sense/understand powers.

> As always, Drew, I am grateful for your remarks.

Awwwww! Absolutely, sir!

> >>     "To answer your question," Janie added,  "I got straight As on my
> >> exams, well, mayhaps not A+s in all of them.  Except Romeo and Juliet
> >> makes absolutely no sense at all.  I just wrote down what I memorized
> >> from those other books. You were right, Dad.  Finding those other books
> >> helped a lot. But if I had crossed out half the 'not's in my sentences,
> >> what I wrote would have made exactly as much sense. The teacher said it
> >> was enough extra books, not just one, and I could name them, so I got my
> >> A. How did you do it, Brian? How did you pull an A+? We read the same
> >> extra books."
> >
> > Hmmmmm. *rubs chin* Not sure what this paragraph is implying.
>
> parents urged him to read extra books on the topic.  he did as he was told.

I guess I just don't quite get an understanding of what Janie's confusion *is* here.

> >> "I lucked out," Brian said.  "I guessed Romeo and Juliet had something
> >> to do with romance novels.  I can't tell what. I wasn't really sure."
> >
> > Huh. O.o
> >
> > Drew "is this personal, or cultural?" Perron
>
> He's in seventh grade.  He's twelve. Barely. He finds the concept of
> romantic love to be incomprehensible.

Huh. At that age, I didn't find the concept of romantic love to be incomprehensible. I didn't actually understand, like, how it *worked* on a detail level or anything, but I understood it as a broad concept? I mean, heck, Juliet herself is thirteen in the play. It makes Brian (and Junie, for that matter) feel a bit distanced from the culture around them - which might work well, considering that they're clearly in a special position.

Drew "the young hero chronicles!" Perron