8FOLD: Mighty Medley # 27, March 2016, by Messrs. Brenton, Perron, Russell, and Stokes

deucexm deucexm at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 18:41:45 PDT 2016

On Wednesday, March 16, 2016 at 11:30:35 AM UTC-5, Drew Perron wrote:
> On Tuesday, March 15, 2016 at 9:30:13 PM UTC-4, Tom Russell wrote:
> <snip>
> >    The Librarian nodded thoughtfully, and stepped over to the
> > summoning wall - the name she had given a row of laser-etched
> > summoning circles atop metal plates, with a storage rack mounted at
> > the end to hold spares and unused specific circles. Only one circle
> > bore a specification, of course, since she only had one true name to-
> >    "Fn'ordh!" she blurted out, suddenly, and lightly smacked her
> > forehead. "How could I have forgotten my first Legionnaire-to-be?
> > Shame on me."
>
> Yeah, Libby seems very much like the kind of person who gets really caught up in an interesting project and loses track of everything else.

Drawn from numerous personal experiences, I can assure you.  Every character I
write is, at least in some measure, a reflection of some part of me, I think.
Even the ones I don't like.  /Especially/ the ones I don't like.

> > -Here, you are more than what you are, you are more than yourself.
> > You are growing, expansively so; reaching out to take that which you
> > desire; unbound by the Pantheon, bound only by your own sense of
> > fairness and justice and honor.  Could there be a better term?-
> >    "'Dictator' doesn't strike you as suitable?" the Librarian
> > returned, frowning.
> >    -I trust you will do what you know to be right,- came the gentle reply.
>
> It's nice to see them talking this over, you know? Rather than just charging ahead heedlessly.

It's hard to explain the relationship between Libby and her Library sometimes,
but there is a lot of conversation that goes on.  Very seldom is there ever a
single voice speaking for 'The Librarian' - merely a predominant one.

> >    The Librarian nodded, tweaking the last few processors before
> > straightening up. "Time and resources, yes. I'll have to head to town
> > first, I think, and see what sort of payment I can get for servicing
> > the water and power systems. Maybe I can even convince them to upgrade
> > to something a little more capable at some point."
>
> Actually, one thing I'd like is a more concrete sense of where she is.

South African ruins.  There are small, sort of rural towns nearby - not exactly
destitute, but not particularly well-developed, either.