8FOLD: Darkhorse # 3, "Like a Window To Your Heart"

Tom Russell joltcity at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 03:24:07 PDT 2016

On Tuesday, May 31, 2016 at 9:39:12 PM UTC-4, Drew Perron wrote:
> On 5/30/2016 12:29 PM, Tom Russell wrote:

> >> It's always interesting where we draw our lines.
> >
> > One problem I always had with the X-books, in the context of the larger
>  > Marvel universe, was the prejudice against mutants. I know it's kinda the
>  > whole point (to some degree), but being afraid of mutants for having super-
>  > powers doesn't make any sense in a world where the Fantastic Four are greeted
>  > with open arms. I think being afraid of magic-- especially in a world where
>  > super-stuff is very science and gadget oriented-- makes slightly more sense,
>  > though fear is irrational in the first place.
>
> See, I think this mindset really shows how such a nonsensical-yet-understandable
> fear would apply, for mutants and mancers alike. The line between stuff that
> happens in circumstances that you can handle, that you have some perceived
> control over, and stuff that just comes out of nowhere.

Very true.

> >> Damn. Good on you, Cal. That's not where I thought this was going. :>
> >
> > Out of curiosity, where did you think it was going?
>
> I would say... it felt like the narrative was moving towards straightforwardly
> treating her as awful. I mean, I thought you probably wouldn't do that, but that
> was pretty strongly how it was reading? I dunno, feels awkward to say. X3

Gotcha. She's certainly /abrasive/, that's part of who she is, and certain people-- even people that love her-- might be reducing her to that trait, and unfairly. But aside from some of the more villainous villains, I don't think anyone is 100% awful. Definitely more on Cal throughout the series-- she's something of a secret star in Melody's story.