SW10/WWW/PRECOG: Powernaut Coming Attractions

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Sat Jul 30 16:53:42 PDT 2016

On 2016-07-30 12:51, George Phillies wrote:

>> 1.  Power School 2013:  Homecoming!  Uh oh, there's a monster on the
>> march from 2012.  Who or what might be cheering it on?  (Clues in the
>> most recent RACCies!)  But first, Power School and Legion of Net.High
>> School have to decide what kind of game their teams play at their
>> Homecoming ceremony!
>
> 43-man squamish.  The reference is, admittedly, 50 years old.  One of
> the dorms at my university -- not mine -- was prepared to field a
> 43-man-squamish team, but Mad Magazine was a bit unclear on a few of the
> rules, not to mention that there were going to be challenges finding the
> required pentagonal playing field.

This suggestion does bring up some interesting game possibilities.
Calvinball (from Calvin and Hobbes) immediately comes to mind; the
strategy would be in defining the next rule of the game.  Or maybe the
game is like live-action role-playing tournaments, where you go to
campgrounds and slay monsters all weekend.  For competing superhero
teams, it'd be like Capture the Flag, possibly across several counties.

>> 3.  Power-STAR Comics 1984 Part 2:  Hyper-Power Crisis Wars!  The
>> Powernaut 1985 series started with invading heroes, but never told how
>> they came to Earth.  This prequel series would fill in that blank.
>
> This series has certainly been going on for a while.

heh, you don't know the half of it.

Many of the supporting characters were first publicly expressed in 1991.
  I used to get into gaming conventions for free, in exchange for
running role-playing games based on those characters.  So yes, I've been
telling this same story for 25 years now.  It seems to run in cycles of
about seven years.  I'm almost five years into the Powernaut Comics
cycle, and it's almost on schedule to end on time.  (You'll know it's
the end, when you see the Powernaut 1999 comic.)  I wonder what will
come after that...?

I know. - Archie Andrews