MISC: The Girl Who Saved the World Part 46

George Phillies phillies at 4liberty.net
Fri Jul 22 18:17:14 PDT 2016

“We should,” Starsmasher agreed, “except for the minor detail of finding
her.  Assuming it is actually a her and not a cleverly disguised him.
The resources of most of the League, though less than that guiding
genius Dreikirch thinks, are behind this search.  Surely it will bye and
bye succeed? My resources are devoted to this issue, though I have
another so-to-speak problem.  Have any of you been following the
screaming and raving between Argentina and Brazil over the giant sky
octopi?”

“Giant sky octopi?” Prince Mong-ku asked. He perched his chin on his
long fingers.  “Did I sleep through those, too?  I have been elsewise
occupied, casting the runes for the return of the three whose names are
not to be spoken. There seems to be no change over the past century, or
even the past millennium.”

“Do tell,” Plasmatrix said.  “I’ve been busy with other matters, too.”
Starsmasher forced a smile.  The Lords of Eternity were undoubtedly the
most powerful personae in the world, not to mention having access to
technologies and libraries undrempt of by normal men, but sometimes they
seemed a bit distracted from reality.

“I’ve seen press reports,” Colonel Pi said. Starsmasher bit his tongue.
Pi resented meetings as events that took him away from his important
tasks, notably advancing the security of the House That Is Forever. If
he was also perpetually trying to gain a deeper understanding of gifts
and their mechanisms,  one could either say that he knew more than
anyone else, or that he had made almost no progress. “The photographs
are very strange indeed. Shall I try reassembling them?”

“Reassemble?” Plasmatrix asked.  “Aren’t honest photographs good enough,
well, up to image enhancement?”

“The images don’t make sense,” Starsmasher said.  “Solid bodies can’t do
those things, and holograms can’t bite holes in buildings. The concern
is that the Argentines claim the octopi are some Brazilian construct,
and are lapsing toward war.”

“We are too close to a polar conjunction,” Prince Mong-Ku responded.
“The runes are very clear. We cannot afford to have a major commotion
when one of those who are not to be named returns. Perhaps a war between
Argentina and Brazil is not so bad?”

“The Argentines are not alone,” Starsmasher said.  “They have solid
American backing.  After centuries of isolationism, the American
Republic is emerging from its tortise shell, not at the most helpful
possible moment. The Brazilians have Portuguese and hence English
backing, and the IncoAztecan Empire may well see an opportunity to
improve its northern border, so soon as the Americans appear to have
entangled themselves in a foreign altercation.”

“How convenient,” Plasmatrix said. She sounded unconvinced.

“I glanced at the photos,” Colonel Pi said. His beard ruffled the
uppermost corners of his laboratory coat.  The garment was royal blue,
with rows of arcane symbols stitched into every seam.  His seal, the
variant pi character in dark blue on a light blue  circle, was
emblazoned on his  lapels. “If they are real, the object -- sky octopus
or whatever -- is clearly at least quadridimensional.  That’s assuming
that the images are not a clever fake.”

“If you want fake evidence to start a war, “ Solara said, “why fake
evidence of something completely crazy? Why not fake evidence of the
other side’s Persona Corps conducting atrocities?”

“See,” Plasmatrix said, “the evidence has been planned to be so crazy
that people can only think that the photographs must be real.”

Prince Mong-Ku buried his face in his hands. “Plasmatrix? You have
another one of those espionage schemes, one in which absolutely anything
might be true and facts lose all meaning? Yes, I know you solve these
puzzles.  Still! “

“There are also the combat troops that appear with the sky octopi,”
Starsmasher said.  “They appear to have very strange gifts, ones that do
not match anything we routinely distribute to the hoi polloi.  Indeed,
some of the apparent gifts don’t resemble anything that I can identify.”

Prince Mong-Ku tried to sound patient. “In any event, Colonel Pi might
usefully try to reassemble the images of the sky octopi, and someone
might stand ready to be teleported to the scene of the next event, to
capture a few of the perpetrators. Are we good with this?” Heads nodded.
“Is there anything else on our plate? Anything that can’t wait until the
next meeting?” Heads shook.  In that case, I believe that we have
reached my breakfast time, so we must be adjourned.”