8FOLD: Darkhorse # 8, "Be Courageous and Be Brave"

Drew Perron pwerdna at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 15:24:23 PDT 2016

On 7/5/2016 10:07 PM, Tom Russell wrote:
> On Tuesday, July 5, 2016 at 1:01:14 AM UTC-4, Drew Perron wrote:
>> On 6/26/2016 8:22 AM, Tom Russell wrote:
>
>>   Originally, it was because while Kate was being chased for
>>> violating the Fitzwalter Rule with her phasing belt, Rainshade was
>>> violating it with a super-tech umbrella. Of course, that hatred was
>>> based on a faulty assumption, as it wasn't a super-tech umbrella, but
>>> merely a totem to channel her metamancy.
>>
>> Ah, interesting. :o
>
>To delve into this a little deeper, Rainshade was-- and outside of the other
 > Daylighters, still is-- pretending that she had a "psionic link with
 > umbrellas", and it was the half-assedness of her lie that pissed Kate off

Ohhhhhhh. XD Amazing. There should be a version of her in a sillier universe
that actually has that power.

>Rainshade's defining characteristic up until now is that people don't like
 > her, or at the very least, they don't want to associate with her (cf JOLT
 > CITY # 19). We're going to see more things from her point of view down the
 > road, but at the same time, there are reasons why people don't like her.

I want to punch her in the face and then give her a hug, so.

>>>    Cal peers over the ledge and takes a deep breath. "Here lies Cal
>>> Morgan, 6 July 1997 to 24 December 2014.
>>
>> *instantly feels old* *goes to look up something for revenge on Tom* That's the
>> day Malingerer Lad and Teenfactor #6 came out! <3
>
> Ugh. Low blow, Drew. Low blow. :-)

Apologies. X3

 > I will take a moment here to comment that this is another example of my
 > tendency to give characters actual birthdates, and to eschew sliding
 > timescale

Which I very much appreciate!

Man. This hits me harder than anything else, I think. @.@

>>>    She strolls over to the next ledge, and then immediately backpedals
>>> away from the huge fricking spider crawling up the step with its
>>> woolly mammoth legs. "Whoa, whoa, whoa. Back off. Go away. Go away
>>> spider nobody loves you. Shoo-shoo-shoo."
>>
>> Ah, one of the most beloved tropes of the Incredible Shrinking Person Who's
>> Still Figuring Out Their Gender Identity genre.
>
>Is... is that really a thing? Because I'd hate to find out that someone else
 > beat me to "shrinking as a metaphor for body/gender dysphoria".

Ah, no XD I was going to say the "Incredible Shrinking Man" genre, but I
adjusted it for accuracy.

>>>    "It's like I'm the responsible adult now," says Cal, dumbfounded.
>>> "We have literally found a parallel earth where I'm the grown-up. The
>>> multiverse really is full of infinite possibilities."
>>
>> This is great. XD <3
>
> Glad to be of service. :-)

Have I mentioned how much of a talent you have for banter? :>

>>>    "Cal," says Melody, "if we don't go now, you're not going to get
>>> larger ever again. You're only ever going to be the inch."
>>>    "Then I'll be The Inch," says Cal.
>>
>> HELL FUCKING YES.
>
> Pretty much what I was going for. :-)

So cool. <3 <3 <3