MISC: The Girl Who Saved the World Part 24

George Phillies phillies at 4liberty.net
Wed Jan 20 21:35:19 PST 2016

Perhaps I should send you all a tribute to the work of two+ decades ago.
  The characters are Front Page Kami, King UID, and Password Lord, who
between them can bring up the front page you wanted, and type in the
User ID and Password.  You may correctly infer that these characters are
unbothered by mundane considerations like property rights.

"But I can do that," Doctor State-the-Obvious-But-Missing-the-Point said.

"Well, yes," Front Page Kami agreed.

"But you knew," King UID observed.

"What you wanted to type," Password Lord noted. "We have no such
limitations. Asked for a password, I can always type it."

"Here, watch," said Front Page Kami.  A series of front pages, largely
in Chinese, appeared on the good Doctor's computer screen. King UID and
Password Lord took turns typing.  The good Doctor considered that the
really disturbing part was that they were typing in Mandarin, using a
standard ASCII keyboard.

"There, all done," announced Password Lord.

"Good work," King UID noted.

"Yes?" the good Doctor asked, not without some trepidation.

"Those were the People's Bank of China Front pages," Front Page Kami
explained, "And we just made a transfer from there to our secret bank
accounts in East Net.I.Stan."

"Yes? Much?"

"Not really," Password Lord said.  "Their foreign currency holdings were
only three trillion dollars.  Of course, we did take all of them, but we
left records proving the transfer had been approved by their Politburo,
so everyone would agree that nothing was wrong. There was nothing to it,
because when the three of us work together no computer network can stand
against us.

And, now, The Girl Who Saved The World:

“On behalf of Her Majesty’s government,” Featherstonehaugh responded, “I
will say that we are grateful for the offer of the American government
to support the independence and liberty of each of Her Majesty’s
Canadian Dominions against foreign invasion, with the clear
understanding that has already been negotiated between our Minister of
State and Speaker Ming that at such time as we request our American
friends to depart that they will do so as expeditiously as possible
given the potential need to assist the sick and injured, extinguish
fires, and support the detention of foreign prisoners of war pending
fair trials and prompt executions. Potential needs were in fact
discussed at some length; we are quite sure that the British Empire and
the American Republic are in complete agreement on the notion of
potential needs and expeditious withdrawal. Also, Her Majesty’s
government views the independence and security of other nations in the
Americas to be a critical matter for the security of the British Empire;
there is no possibility that Her Majesty’s government would consider
being responsible for the consequences if the independence and security
of any of these nations were to be infringed upon. Having said that, I
believe that Ambassador Davout had signaled a desire to speak, perhaps
even before I did, but he graciously offered to allow me to speak first.”

“On behalf of his Most Terrible and Serene Majesty, the Sixth Napoleon,
I must most emphatically indicate that the French Empire categorically
and completely rejects the suggestion that foreign powers are entitled
to besmirch the name of the Empire and the honor of the Legion of Glory
by claiming a right to enter our territory and attack our citizens, as
though we were unable to protect ourselves.”  Davout closed the case
from which he had been reading his remarks. The Legion of Glory,
Buncombe, thought, was the French Military Persona team.

Holmgren, fearing what was about to happen, nonetheless was obliged to
recognize Ambassador Smoking Frog. “The Living Sun, The First Speaker,”
Smoking Frog said, “has anticipated the outrageous statements of the
American Ambassador. The right of the League of Nations to take
possession of the Namestone is beyond question or doubt.  It is totally
forbidden and contrary to the League Charter, the votes of this body,
and the votes of the World Council for any nation to take any other
stand.  Furthermore, it is the privilege and duty of the persona leagues
and military forces of every nation of the world to enforce these votes
anywhere on the planet without begging leave of the local governments,
all of which are entirely subordinate to the League of Nations and
therefore must be brought to heel if they fail to obey the League’s
righteous edicts. The people of the world may be assured that so soon as
the Bearer is located, the Jaguar Knights and the Eagle Legion will
descend upon her, strip her of the Namestone, and prepare her to be food
for the Gods, or such other form of extended dying as this body may
choose to specify.”

Holmgren steeled himself for what would undoubtedly be the extended
remarks of most of the remaining ambassadors, some saying that their
countries were entitled to pursue the Namestone wherever it was found,
and others saying that there was no such entitlement. On one hand, he
considered, only a minority of Great Powers would claim their right of
intervention.  On the other hand, China and the IncoAztecan Empire would
both claim the right of intervention.  Alas, they were probably the two
most populous nations in the world, and both of them were vigorous about
seeking out and training persona talents wherever found. Holmgren told
himself that he had wisely packed several large flasks in his vest
pockets, and suspected that very soon he would be managing to drain them
of their fine beverages, all of which had begun their lives as grain,
variously American, Scots, and Russian in extraction.

At long last, the argument over foreign intervention ran out of steam.
“What do we tell our citizens?” Lars Holmgren finally responded prayerfully.

“Perhaps,” Buncombe said, “you could tell the people of the world that
you eventually reached this meeting’s agenda.”