MISC: The Girl Who Saved the World, Part 23

George Phillies phillies at 4liberty.net
Thu Jan 14 19:38:26 PST 2016

Meanwhile I needed more food, but the healing matrix said first I needed
some really rigorous stretch and bend exercises, my partly-healed ribs
protesting where force fields kept them clamped absolutely rigidly
together. Then I got to eat. Cooking is a big time sink, there being
only one of me, but I actually can cook, so some of my lentil, spinach,
and kielbasa stew moved from freezer to microwave, followed by shredded
lettuce, slivered carrots, and a few artichokes onto a big salad plate.
Lemon juice, a scoop of chickpeas and chopped onions marinated in Roman
salad dressing, and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese followed. After dinner
would be a short nap, and then chemistry and astronomy.  I had cleaned
the house thoroughly before I left. It could wait a few more days.

GR, be honest with myself.  The short nap was another nine hours. I lay
down on my bed, pulled the quilt up to my shoulders, and when I awoke it
was well closer to dawn than dusk. Yes, when I need to I can really draw
deeply on my gifts.  Afterward I pay a price, and not a small one,
either.  Perhaps someday, when I grow up, that won’t be as much of an
issue.  But right now I’m only me, and I only have the gifts that I
have.  On the positive side, I always liked getting up early enough to
watch the sun rise. After nine hours of deep sleep, I really was awake
again. I’d be happy to say the stretches and bends weren’t as
uncomfortable as yesterday, except they were worse.

Chapter Five
Secure Chamber Alpha
The Palace of Peace
Geneva, Switzerland
Evening
January 12, 2018

Holmgren stood at the head of the table, waiting for the ambassadors of
the Great Powers to be seated. Finally all of them had arrived and were
in place. He leaned into his chair and tapped his gavel once. “Our
recess is over. We are again in session. The ambassadors who had placed
objection markers at the last meeting have all indicated to me that they
insist on raising their objections before we advance to Brigade Leader
Valkyria and her report on the events at the Maze. I therefore recognize
Ambassador Buncombe.”

“Mr. Chancellor,” Buncombe said, “during the earlier part of the meeting
this morning several ambassadors indicated that it was the intent or
position of their government that in the hypothetical case that the
Bearer was found, within a country other than their own, that their
governments would be entitled to send persona teams or even military
units to the location of the Bearer to seize the Namestone. For example,
if the bearer were to be found in scenic Buffalo, North New York,
Buffalonians might find themselves visited by the persona teams and
armed hosts of a series of countries I will not embarrass by naming.”
Buncombe had not incidentally named one of America’s wealthiest and most
significant industrial cities.

“The President and Speaker of the American Republic are in complete
agreement that such a visitation, made without the invitation of the
American Republic, which assuredly will not be forthcoming, would be
viewed as an act of war. The American Elite Persona Team would be
ordered to the scene to dispose of the invaders. Furthermore, Speaker
Ming has called upon the Governors of all states to place in readiness
their Persona State Guards to advance to the assistance of the American
Elite Persona Team. The American team is under direct and explicit
orders from the President that such an invasion is to be put down
without quarter being offered, unless the invaders immediately and
without offering resistance surrender themselves.

“In addition, the American Republic would view it to be an act of war
for any foreign power to insert their persona teams into the territory
of any of the Canadian Dominions, unless Her Majesty’s government had
invited them, in which case the situation would be taken under
advisement. As an exception, any effort of the IncoAztecan government to
insert its persona teams or armed hordes into the territory of any other
country in the Americas will be taken to be a declaration of war on the
American Republic, a declaration against which the American Republic
will respond in full. I believe that Ambassador Featherstonehaugh is the
next to speak, and I yield to him.”