MISC: The Girl Who Sved the World Part 50

George Phillies phillies at 4liberty.net
Wed Aug 31 16:01:22 PDT 2016

Chapter Nine
Secure Chamber Alpha
The Palace of Peace
Geneva, Switzerland
Evening
January 13, 2018

Holmgren stood at the head of the table, waiting for the ambassadors of
the Great Powers to be seated. Finally all of them had arrived and were
in place. He leaned into his chair and tapped his gavel once. “Our
recess is over. We are again in session. The ambassadors who had placed
objection markers at the last meeting have all indicated to me that they
insist on raising their objections before we advance to Brigade Leader
Valkyria and her report on the events at the Maze. I therefore recognize
Ambassador Buncombe.”

“Mr. Chancellor,” Buncombe said, “during the earlier part of the meeting
this morning several ambassadors indicated that it was the intent or
position of their government that in the hypothetical case that the
Bearer was found, within a country other than their own, that their
governments would be entitled to send persona teams or even military
units to the location of the Bearer to seize the Namestone. For example,
if the bearer were to be found in scenic Buffalo, North York,
Buffalonians might find themselves visited by the persona teams and
armed hosts of a series of countries I will not embarrass by naming.”
Buncombe had not incidentally named one of America’s wealthiest and most
significant industrial cities.

“The President and Speaker of the American Republic are in complete
agreement that such a visitation, made without the invitation of the
American Republic, which assuredly will not be forthcoming, would be
viewed as an act of war. The American Elite Persona Team would be
ordered to the scene to dispose of the invaders. Furthermore, Speaker
Ming has called upon the Governors of all states to place in readiness
their Persona State Guards to advance to the assistance of the American
Elite Persona Team. The American team is under direct and explicit
orders from the President that such an invasion is to be put down
without quarter being offered, unless the invaders immediately and
without offering resistance surrender themselves.

“In addition, the American Republic would view it to be an act of war
for any foreign power to insert their persona teams into the territory
of any of the Canadian Dominions, unless Her Majesty’s government had
invited them, in which case the situation would be taken under
advisement. As an exception, any effort of the IncoAztecan government to
insert its persona teams or armed hordes into the territory of any other
country in the Americas will be taken to be a declaration of war on the
American Republic, a declaration against which the American Republic
will respond in full. I believe that Ambassador Featherstonehaugh is the
next to speak, and I yield to him.”

“On behalf of Her Majesty’s government,” Featherstonehaugh responded, “I
will say that we are grateful for the offer of the American government
to support the independence and liberty of each of Her Majesty’s
Canadian Dominions against foreign invasion, with the clear
understanding that has already been negotiated between our Minister of
State and Speaker Ming that at such time as we request our American
friends to depart that they will do so as expeditiously as possible
given the potential need to assist the sick and injured, extinguish
fires, and support the detention of foreign prisoners of war pending
their fair trials and prompt executions. Potential needs were in fact
discussed at some length; we are quite sure that the British Empire and
the American Republic are in complete agreement on the notion of
potential needs and expeditious withdrawal. Also, Her Majesty’s
government views the independence and security of other nations in the
Americas to be a critical matter for the security of the British Empire.
There is no possibility that Her Majesty’s government would consider
being responsible for the consequences if the independence and security
of any of these nations were to be infringed upon. The longstanding
alliance between Her Majesty’s Realm and the Empire of the Brazilians is
viewed as particularly sacrosanct. Having said that, I believe that
Ambassador Davout had signaled a desire to speak, perhaps even before I
did, but he graciously offered to allow me to speak first.”
Featherstonehaugh passed the Speaking Stone to Davout.

“On behalf of his Most Placid and Serene Majesty, the Sixth Napoleon,
may His House endure forever, I must most emphatically indicate that the
French Empire categorically and completely rejects the suggestion that
foreign powers are entitled to besmirch the name of the Empire and the
honor of the Legion of Glory by claiming a right to enter our territory
and attack our citizens, as though we were unable to protect ourselves.”
  Davout closed the case from which he had been reading his remarks. The
Legion of Glory, Buncombe, thought, was the French Military Persona Host.

Holmgren, fearing what was about to happen, nonetheless was obliged to
recognize Ambassador Smoking Frog. “The Living Sun, The First Speaker,”
Smoking Frog said, “has anticipated the outrageous statements of the
American Ambassador and his foreign toadies. The right of the League of
Nations to take possession of the Namestone is beyond question or doubt.
  It is totally forbidden and contrary to the League Charter, the votes
of this body, and the votes of the World Council for any nation to take
any other stand.  Furthermore, it is the privilege and duty of the
persona leagues and military forces of every nation of the world to
enforce these votes anywhere on the planet without begging leave of the
local governments, all of which are entirely subordinate to the League
of Nations and therefore must be brought to heel if they fail to obey
the League’s righteous edicts. The people of the world may be assured
that so soon as the Bearer is located, the Jaguar Knights and the Eagle
Legion will descend upon her, strip her of the Namestone, and prepare
her to be food for the Gods, or such other form of extended dying as
this body may choose to specify.”

Holmgren steeled himself for what would undoubtedly be the extended
remarks of most of the remaining ambassadors, some saying that their
countries were entitled to pursue the Namestone wherever it was found,
and others saying that there was no such entitlement. On one hand, he
considered, only a minority of Great Powers would claim their right of
intervention.  On the other hand, China and the IncoAztecan Empire would
both claim the right of intervention.  Alas, they were probably the two
most populous nations in the world, and both of them were vigorous about
seeking out and training persona talents wherever found. Holmgren told
himself that he had wisely packed several large flasks in his vest and
suitcoat pockets, and suspected that very soon he would be managing to
drain them of their fine beverages, all of which had begun their lives
as grain, variously American, Scots, and Russian in extraction.

At long last, the argument over foreign intervention ran out of steam.
“What do we tell our citizens?” Lars Holmgren finally responded prayerfully.

“Perhaps,” Buncombe said, “you could tell the people of the world that
you eventually reached this meeting’s agenda.”