SW10/WWW: Powernaut 2006 #10: Secure This Tower!

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Thu Aug 25 18:43:11 PDT 2016

Okay, the tower wasn't *that* much of a threat.  So, what was its
purpose...  and might some *other* threat be more serious than people
thought?  If so, how will the Powernaut(s) respond?  Powernaut 2006
approaches the conclusion... of Part One!

http://www.eilertech.com/stories/powernaut/2006.htm#10

Bonus Section: Commentary from Wyatt Ferguson! About That Darkness

I should probably explain Ultimate Darkness...  It is the void between
the universes.  Each universe is kind of like a little bubble in the
Darkness.  And all those bubbles, kind of give the Darkness indigestion.
  So it has had some attitude, for as long as humans have trafficked
with it.

I got a chance to see the mages playing their Ultimate Darkness games in
the camp in Iowa.  I didn't take it seriously, because I've heard that
Ultimate Darkness is well adjusted nowadays.  It kind of has a crush on
one young woman, Pam Brown.  Really.  The World Journal Monthly said so.
  They even call her "The Bride of the Ultimate Darkness".  (ref:
http://www.eilertech.com/stories/2004/journal_dark.htm)  And they're
usually pretty reputable, among people who know how weird our world
really is.  Besides, I've met Pam.  She seems a good custodian for
Ultimate Darkness.  (ref:
http://www.eilertech.com/stories/2004/aleut.htm#movement)

However, no one knows where Pam is right now.  When superhumans were
abducted and depowered last year, Pam was not there, any more than any
other avatar / Force of Nature was.  (ref:
http://www.eilertech.com/stories/2005/journal_melon.htm)  And she was
wounded in 2004.  So she may be in isolation among Darkness.

Ultimate Darkness acts kind of like a lovesick puppy when it doesn't
have Pam handy.  And now we have these Dork (excuse me, "Dark") Mages,
talking with Darkness using what seems to be Doom Squirrels.  (North
America currently has a vacancy for Doom Creatures; Doom Squirrels seem
to have risen in response.)  With all that, Ultimate Darkness might be
kind of scary right now.  But if Dork Mages can make deals with it and
light themselves up within it, I'm guessing *anyone* can.

I know. - Archie Andrews