8FOLD: Mighty Medley # 31, July 2016, by Messrs. Brenton, McClure, Perron, Russell, and Stokes

Drew Perron pwerdna at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 14:05:07 PDT 2016

<snip>

Awwwww. >#> ...I swear I'll get part 2 to you in a bit. @-@

> The
> marvelous thing about Saxon's work is that even the ideas that "don't
> work" do work, and remain fascinating, fun, and thought-provoking.

YES. Very yes.

> Deidre paused. "I'm
> babbling, aren't I?"
>    "A bit. 'Brainstorming' might be a better description, if you want
> to put a positive spin on it."
>    "Well thank you," said Deidre, dryly.

That's adorable.

>    Joan nodded her acceptance of that, then said. "It won't work. It's
> a good idea, but drawing in an entire universe of mimetics?" The angel
> shook her head. "It's too much. There's no way we could leverage
> enough force to do that using just this," she said, looking ruefully
> at the ring. "Remember, the equations for information entropy are the
> same as for physical entropy, so we're still talking about a whole
> world's worth of weight."

That's so cool :D

>    Deidre returned the look, then carefully drew her handgun from the
> concealed holster. "Any advice that you can think of to tell me before
> you go?" she asked as she checked to make sure it was properly loaded.
>    "Take the ring," Joan said. "I'll use it as a homing beacon. And if
> absolute worst comes to absolute worst, and I don't get back in time,
> maybe you'll get insanely lucky with your idea to drag the Naziworld
> back to form a primal egg."

SO COOL

>    This did not fill Deidre with confidence. It wasn't something she
> liked to talk about, but she hadn't exactly been insanely lucky the
> last time she'd tried to stop the literal end of a world.

Wait what.

>    Deidre pulled the trigger and shot the angel square in the face.
> Then she was surprised for a second time when the celestial's body
> cleanly discorporated. "Huh. Just like in Buffy."

XD;;;;

> They clambered out of the way and
> arched their backs as if something was marching past. They turned
> their heads and hissed as nothing made its way to Elaine's house.

:D :D :D

> She'd called up the catsitter, telling her she'd be gone for
> three months, which is longer than she'd hoped but also too
> optimistic.

Is this the narrative telling us she's going to be gone for longer than that, or?

> It was harder in general to make
> connections and meet new people as she got older. There was an
> expectation that after a certain age you were supposed to know
> perfectly who and what you were in life and have it all together,
> which really wasn't true.

hahaaaaaaaaa ohgodit'strue

>    Elaine dropped Allecto to the floor. The cat screamed and leaped,
> lurching at nothing at all--or was it? There was a flicker in the air,
> a muffled cursing sound. She'd seen something like this this before.
>    Cloaks of Unknowing. These were agents of the School of Night.
> They'd attacked her home once, but that time her husband had been
> around to face them. Now it was up to her. This was her world now. And
> she had to fight for it.

Yesssss. :D That's GREAT

>    -The summoning circle describes... an index, let us say,- the
> Library explained to her, -not a name as such. But unless your mind is
> operating in the numerical format used by the Manual, you will
> perceive the name instead.

You know, I have to take a step back to fully perceive how cool this idea is. :D
Like, "scientific concepts applied to fantasy" is pretty common nowadays, but
just the level to which computer science stuff is integrated with demonology
here, the bottom-up level from which they're tied together, it's *grand*.

>    "Then consider it a gift; one of choice," she returned with a light
> smile, finally turning to look at her first Legionnaire, "for I shall
> not dictate to you how to feel - not on this or any other matter.

That is also reallycool. :>

>    At first he was confused; then Meredith felt his skin start to
> tingle, then itch, and finally burn as the little ball collapsed and
> melted, reforming as a triangular plate the size of his fist. He
> valiantly resisted the urge to scream in terror and claw at it, and
> the burning sensation finally subsided after a moment, replaced by a
> mildly alarming numbness.
>    -A pleasure to meet you, Meredith Rael Fn'ordh,- the Library murmured to him.

SYMBIOSIS. So cool. (I like how both Colin and I have stories involving people
acquiring cybernetic mental passengers. Of course, the Librarian is much older,
and inspirational on that count~)

> Leastways, not until he came to Thebes Ranch. For he knew right away
> that that's where he was, and in his belly he knew that something
> terrible was waiting inside. He knew it the way his father did.

Ohhhhhh. :o

>    "Oh, I won't let you expire, Mr. Adams."
>    "Sweet of you, but I think my T.B. has a contrary notion."

DANGIT EVERYBODY GOTTA DIE

> But Saint Gustin said that he had no inducement to
> evil but the evil itself; that it was foul, and he loved his own
> undoing; 'I loved my error, not that for which I erred but the error
> it very self.' That's me, a rotten scoundrel. A handsome rotten
> scoundrel, most assuredly, but a scoundrel still and rotten. Something
> else Saint Gustin said in his book, a prayer he made, 'God, make me
> pure, just not yet.' And that was my prayer.

awwwwwwwwwww

>    "But, like I said, there is this powerful urge, and I never was any
> good at resisting those powerful urges, and I never did cotton to pain
> and suffering much. I think you understand what I'm asking of you,
> sir."
>    Silke's boy nodded and cocked his pistol.
>    "You're a good kid," said Adams. "Make it quick, then."
>    He did.

Awwwwwwwwww ;;;.;;;