MISC: The Girl Who Saved the World Part 48

George Phillies phillies at 4liberty.net
Mon Aug 15 18:25:12 PDT 2016

I momentarily remembered a peculiarity of history.  There are perfectly
adequate numbers of references, a few thousand years ago, that if you
leave a horse with a big pile of barley it will eat itself to death.
Modern horse breeders think horses are not that stupid.  I decided not
to call the horses while I mucked out the barn.  Some work was needed.
The weather had been bad enough that the horses had taken shelter for a
day or so.  Medico said ‘emphatic yes’ on the work as exercise; it kept
various bad things from happening where I had deep bruises.  Every so
often, I simply had to stop until the pain receded. Cleaning was a real
chore, even with the robot wheelbarrow, because I really had to lift
everything close to one-armed. Spreading hay afterward was also not a
great deal of fun. Yes, telekinesis would’ve made it a whole lot easier,
but I don’t use my gifts at home if I can possibly avoid it.  The gift
you do not call cannot be detected.  My mind control on me, suppressing
the pain, was not avoidable, but it was inside my mentalic screens.

Toward the end I had a feline audience. The two barn cats realized I was
back and were watching from a safe distance while I went about my work.
After all, Bluebell and Columbine were quite certain that once I was
done cleaning up the barn I would give them treats, scratch their
stomachs, and comb their fur. I did go up the stairs to the perch where
they had their nest.  There was a considerable pile of straw, clear
hints that they had found this, that, and the other thing to line it
inside, and at the far end of the perch a neat stack of tails where
various rodents had contributed to feline diets.  The automatic cat
feeder appeared to be working just fine. Its storage hopper was good for
another several weeks, by which time I wouldn’t mind hauling a 30 pound
sack of cat food from the house. I have fixed the feeder once, and can
fix it again, but working with tools is going to be a chore until my
shoulder heals.

The cats like regular warm lunches. Careful examination of the tails
indicated that they were probably spending most of their time hunting in
the fields and bringing dinner home. I sat with my legs over the edge of
the perch, dropped the cat treat on each side, and waited not for very
long. Soon I had a large cat leaned up on each side of me, both of them
rubbing their heads against my arms as they waited for me to give them
more treats or better yet a good combing. That went on for a solid 20
minutes, at the end of which I was out of treats, the curry comb had
been cleaned several times, and they were both purring loudly.
At the sound of horse’s hooves, I clambered back down the stairs.
Usually I would just lean forward and rotate one-handed off the ledge.
It was just seven feet, so I’d barely flex my knees when I landed. Not
today, thank you; I was too beaten up.  A horse’s lips nuzzled my hair.
I pivoted happily. “Oh, Daffodil, you’ve really missed me, haven’t you?”
A second Appaloosa came into the barn. “You, too, Snapdragon.”

The horses really loved being hugged, especially at the same time, but
my right arm was not going to cooperate. Not today.  I produced from the
bag a pair of  MacIntosh apples, and dropped them toward the
newly-cleaned barn floor.  The ponies greedily gobbled them up, and
repeated when I gave them another pair of apples.  I did hold the maple
sugar in my hands, carefully.  Daffodil and Snapdragon waited patiently
for their combing.  They also got a careful check of their hooves.
There were no stones, no signs of other issues. Vigorous scratches
behind their ears were clearly appreciated.

“You want me to ride you, don’t you?” I asked. “I’m really sorry, but
you’re both going to have to wait.”