MISC: The Girl Who Saved the World Part 45

Drew Perron pwerdna at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 18:10:36 PDT 2016

On 7/9/2016 12:42 AM, George Phillies wrote:
<snip>
> “Worse,” the Screaming Skull said, “after I expressed my extreme
> disapproval of her basal metabolism,

I love that. XD

> “The new Bearer is clearly none of the Eclipses whose persona names are
> widely known,” Starsmasher answered calmly. “Actually, there are a good
> twenty of them, of whom ten are astronomers, space travellers and
> teleporters who can move satellite telescopes to useful locations.

Ooooh, good detail.

> Having said that, you are the persona you
> choose to be.  Someone could have assumed this Eclipse persona, garb and
> all, just for a day.”

Another good point!

> “We can rule that one out,” Solara announced. “Niederhof’s has announced
> that Eclipse is a regular customer.  She’s one of the ‘reduced rate if
> you let us display replicas of your garb when you become famous’ people.
> In a few days, replicas of all of her garbs will be on display.”

Ahhhhh, I think this was mentioned in a different context earlier.

> “Ah,” Prince Mong-ku answered,  his face wrinkled with smiles.
> “Niederhof’s does not make that offer to the hoi polloi. It would reduce
> their profits. And, obviously, they did not make that deal after she did
> the Maze: she already had the garb. No, whoever she is, they figured out
> in advance that she might be a person of adequate importance, even
> though she was completely unknown at the time.”

Oooooh, very good mystery-clues - makes sense.

> “Oh, of course.  If one of us showed up at Niederhof’s and announced
> ‘This is my daughter Eclipse, would you please put together quality garb
> for her’, the daughter would get the special rate.  There was promise of
> greatness, not because Niederhof is impressed by a mere Lord of
> Eternity, but because we can engift our progeny with all our powers.

Ahhhhhh, very thoughtful.

> “Returning to topic,” Prince Mong-ku said, “Whoever has her hands on the
> Namestone may be able to use it to engift people.

Ooooooh. :D

Awwwww.

> “The Namestone is a foamspace tap,” Solara said. “But it has an
> aperture, one whose size we know.

! Ohhhhh, now this is an interesting bit of worldbuilding - implies things about
others' powers, perhaps?

> “Solara, Starsmasher,” Plasmatrix said, “I know you are very fond of
> your Namestone Standard Model. But there are still these little gaps in
> your reasoning.”

Heeheehee. X3

  Solara did not quite roll her eyes. “First, the Copper
> Book may be fibbing about Namestone’s powers. Second, this Eclipse
> person may be able to use her own gifts to drive the Namestone.  She’s
> obviously not a complete weakling. Third, and I only finished the
> translation last century, the Goetica Arcana Stella Magnus clearly
> claims that the Knights found occult ties between the Namestone and the
> Solar Deep Structures, ties implying the Namestone’s powers are vastly
> greater than you propose.”

Interesting. :o Man, there's a *lot* of world in back of this story.

> “The Namestone, yes,” the Screaming Skull said.  “It would be a useful
> tool for us.  But Eclipse?  When she escaped Atlantis, it was too soon
> for her to have the Namestone’s power. She used her own gifts to survive
> and escape. She is no weakling.  Perhaps she can’t use Namestone’s full
> power yet, but she may still wreak havoc. On the great chess board, it
> seems there is a new formidable piece. It must be found and taken.”

Dun dun dunnnnn...

Drew "namae stone" Perron