LNH/SW10: WikiLull #14: The Disposition of Powers

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Sat Aug 6 01:19:00 PDT 2016

On 2016-08-05 20:57, Drew Perron wrote:
> WikiCide held the Last Trenchcoat high in the air. From within its
> rumples and well-worn creases, darkness swelled, and the eerie high
> screech of ripping reality shivered through the air... and then, with
> the "pyewww" of a monitor shutting off, faded.
>
> "What the..." WikiCide shook the coat. "C'mon, c'mon! Dark Usenet, take
> me to the forbidden FAQs! C'mon!"
>
> Kristen Stewart shook her head. "It’s always sad when someone breaks
> into the biz but just can’t take the pressure."
>
> "...so, I'm taking this back," said Amnesiac Brad Pitt, grabbing for the
> trenchcoat.
>
> WikiCide meeped and bounced out of the way, tucking the trenchcoat under
> one arm. "Um… Deathspork, good job with the assassining. Keep it up!" He
> gave Deathspork a big double-thumbs-up and vamoosed.
>
> "Hey!" said Deathspork. "You still haven’t paid--"
>
> But WikiCide was already out of there, running towards the flickering
> fireball of the LNHQ. He could feel the susurration as different
> versions of reality broke upon each other, like his own edits but on a
> massive and continual scale. But there was a calm point, where he could
> stop, regroup and contact his allies…
>
> WikiCide slipped through the half-exploded doorway and into the
> quantum-stabilized lobby. Then his eyes went wide and he ducked and
> rolled, as a projectile shot past him and fully exploded the doorway in
> a burst of shredding guitars.
>
> He rolled and rolled until he rolled behind a table. He collapsed
> against it, breathing heavily, as some kind of pitched battle between
> technology, sorcery, and coolness raged in the background. It was then
> that the bowl of apples on the table started talking to him. "Ally
> WikiCide, there is a problem."
>
> WikiCide fought down the urge to return to fleeing. "Yes, Quadcore, I
> had noticed that." A wave of disorientation rolled over him, and he
> rubbed his temples. "The plan didn’t work - not very well, anyway; I see
> *you* got through."
>
> "The portal only opened for brief moments," said the
> four-fruits-in-a-bowl-shaped MicroMAC. "The vanguard of the Pocket
> Empire came through, but our larger army is trapped on the other side."
>
> WikiCide snorted in disdain. "Well, I suppose that’s *something*. But
> what went wrong? Whilst I was edited into being a master of the mystic
> arts, my researches showed clearly that the iconic power of the
> Net.Trenchcoat Brigade - power enough to accomplish my most ambitious
> schemes - had all collected in the Last Trenchcoat!"
>
> Quadcore’s apple sensor array whirred, processing exotic data streams.
> "The mythopoeic fabric of The Last Trenchcoat has undergone quantum
> decoherence. The wearer, Brad Pitt, was split into millions of quantum
> duplicates, and the power of the trenchcoat spread among them."
>
> "Curses!" muttered WikiCide, rubbing his temples again. How was he
> supposed to live up to his potential as an evil duplicate if he couldn’t
> [...]

heh, I'm pretty sure the powers of Brad Pitt's Trenchcoat were someone
else's idea.  In my story, Brad Pitt was just annoyed he couldn't get to
the Wiki.  But along those lines...

At the Council of Ordered Realities, the Chancellor Wyatt Ferguson
intervened in an alternate-universe probe for once.

A technician was surprised.  "Chancellor?"

"Carry on.  I think this one might mention me."

"Right...  SW-Unregistered, Commence..."

The technician turned back in alarm.  "Chancellor!  That universe just
blinked out of existence!"

Chancellor Wyatt contemplated.  "Oh, please, Looniverse.  Stay in the void."

The technician said, "It's back!"

"Crap...  That'll just feed the factions who want to *mine* this universe."

"But wouldn't that be dangerous, if it fades out all the time?"

The Chancellor nodded.  "Yes, it would.  But people in the Council's
political process aren't always noted for *smart* decisions."

I know. - Archie Andrews