SW10/WWW: Powernaut 1985 #23: The Powernauts Gave Their Lives to Save Us

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Thu Apr 21 17:20:01 PDT 2016

For various trivial reasons, I (mostly) postponed publishing the final
issue of the 1985 Powernaut(s) from yesterday 'til today.  In the
meantime, Prince died.  And I noticed, the sky over Hypergaard was
purple when the Powernauts went to their rest...

Anyway, Powernaut 1985 is now laid to rest also.

http://www.eilertech.com/stories/powernaut/1985b.htm#23

Perhaps in future I might play more to my strengths as a cartoonist, and
not do those massive crowd scenes so much.  Even the "Multiple
Powernauts" strips are a break for me.  During this sequence, I briefly
built a (two-dimensional) Pentahedron out of five strips I was actively
working on.  But I still miss the days when I worked ten strips in
advance.  Fortunately the annual Powernaut All-Star Break is finally
here.  I shall write the RACCies Ceremony, and I may intervene in other
people's stories more than usual, but I'll also be building up my
artwork buffer.

Wyatt talks about generations of fighters and about mental illness.
I've basically seen those things at a distance.  So for those topics, I
shall let him speak for me.  I'll just say...  I've spent the better
part of a year reading these strips, in one form or another.  For me,
they look as silly as ever.  Oh, what fun.

But Wyatt has one last word...

Bonus Section: 2005 Reprint Commentary from Wyatt Ferguson!  What Were
the Rest of Us Doing in 1985?

The Powernaut 1985 comic previews a 1987 storyline with a new Powernaut.
  It would be shown (at least in the comics), this new Powernaut was one
of the Hyper-Children of 1969.  Was he really the famous actor Jeffrey
Goldblatt?  Given how he always wore a mask, the world may never know.
But anyway...

What about the rest of us Hyper-Children?  We were either still getting
established as young professionals (like me and Steffi Brock), or coming
of age in high school.  But my adventures would start in another three
years, and those of Stephen and Julie Wolcott just two years after that.
  So you could say, a new generation of heroes really was getting
started.  And at least for me, it was inspired by superhero comics such
as the Powernaut's.

I know. - Archie Andrews