LNH: Dashing Tales #8

Andrew Perron pwerdna at gmail.com
Sun Sep 13 00:17:59 PDT 2015

On 9/10/2015 2:52 AM, Ben Rawluk wrote:
<snip>
 > It's basically a flying bathtub.

Heeheehee.

 > Does he even know what happened? That the fate of Clement Bogus would make a
 > pretty good story? Except, what's the point of running something on the front
 > page -- the only colour page -- if it's just a picture of a black and white
 > guy?

*sad trombone*

 > He occurs to him that he's feeling a little weepy about Bogus, in an abstract
 > way, but Bogus isn't really dead, is he? Maybe Occultism Kid can cure him.
 > Maybe Marco should let Occultism Kid know where they are, what they're doing,
 > that they're actually following up on the question of vampire plagues
 > spreading across the city. "I should call in," he says, careful to avoid
 > making eye contact with either Emma or April. He's trying not to go red.

Gosh darnit Marco. You're doing important work but go to a therapist or at least
team up with someone who's going to actively support you. Maybe Fairy Princess
Lad. He's a good kid.

> "Good work," says April, and he wants to scream.
>
> "I'm not everybody's doorman," he says.

PREVIOUS STATEMENT REPEATED. MAYBE SPECIAL BONDING BOY. HE CAN BE BOTH OF THOSE
THINGS. YOU GOTTA DO SOMETHING BEFORE--

 > Marco doesn't realize he's doing it until it's done. He utters about two
 > stanzas of a prose-poem -- under his breath at first, but then louder and
 > louder. Spinoza's computer pops and bangs. She's slumped backward over the
 > back of her chair. Emma sprawls with her face pressed to carpet that probably
 > hasn't seen a vacuum cleaner, and Victor King is flat on his back.
 >
 > Only April is still upright. "Well, that was certainly one way of defusing
 > the situation."

--well, before that happens. ^^;

 > When he sees King's eyes flutter, he pull his badge off his belt, brandishing
 > it in front of him. LNH is golden block letters, catching the dismal light
 > from the too-small windows with the frames painted over. They don't open.
 > King grunts and pushes himself up to a seat. He glares. He starts to say
 > something, but Marco cuts him off. "Legion of Net.Heroes," he says, like he's
 > on a cop show or something. "Bad-Poetry Boy. This is my associate, Sonnet
 > Queen." King's rheumy eyes flick over to April, then back to Marco. For once
 > in his life, he doesn't say anything. Who knows if he's ever been close to a
 > net.hero before. "One of your reporters -- Clement Bogus -- was involved in
 > an paranormal incident." Okay, more than one, but still. "We're
 > investigating."

Oooooooh. Yes, good, Marco. You can do it! Keep it up!

 > He catches sight of Emma, watching him. Watching him maybe because he flirted
 > with Bogus, sometimes, maybe. Or because she's never seen Marco like this.
 > He's never seen himself like this before.

:D Character development, my precious~

 > "Not the issue right now," says Marco, because he can almost feel Emma's
 > hackles rising, and if he's not going to get into petty arguments with April,
 > she shouldn't either.

Aw, crap, he's become the one doing the emotional labor. Marco, my sympathies,
because I know you're burning through every single one of your spoons.

 > There is a full beat and then Marco doesn't really know what happens, but the
 > world seems to slow down. Everything is filled with this light, this rich,
 > warm light. Amber. He's staring at his hands. At his finger, drenched in
 > whatever black liquid that was. It's his hand, but there's a second,
 > transparent hand superimposed over it. "What -- Occultism Kid? Are you doing
 > something?" He stumbles. Nothing seems real, and all the details and angles
 > of the world seem like they've tilted. He doesn't like the feeling at all.
 >
 > "Sorry," Occultism Kid says, and his voice is emanating from Marco's badge
 > and vibrating directly inside his mind. "Astral projection.

That's SO COOL and SO WELL-DESCRIBED.

 > I'm looking -- that's definitely blood. Drained of its colour -- nasty." And
 > then he hums, and Marco feels like he can't control his limbs. "That reminds
 > me a little of Adventure Time--"

Pfah. XD

 > "Good. I'm going to slip away in a second. I don't want to linger too long
 > with Bad-Poetry Boy."
 >
 > "Could you at least call me Marco?" But Occultism Kid is already gone.

Poor guy.

 > Oh, like you don't love the Fantasticar. Like the Fantasticar isn't pop
 > perfection.

YEAH :D

 > After talking to Andrew about the politics of net.heroes in Hovel Homes I'm
 > stuck thinking about the kind of work that the LNH would be doing in its
 > community, and that's probably something that's going to linger and bubble up
 > a bit for the next little while.

Oooooh, spectacular!

 > I want to expand on the Netizen a little bit and more of the street-level
 > weirdness for a while. I'm also curious if there are more Legionnaires like
 > Limp-Asparagus Lad's crew, who don't live in the LNHQ and maybe spend most of
 > their time dealing with the street-level issues and conference-callling in.

Hmmmmmm. I've established that Casey still lives at home (being under eighteen
with parents that live in the city, after all). I'd say that Boysenstrawblue
Alan "Steve" Berry, The Fastingest Man Alive, also probably falls in that category.

Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, gotta update the wiki more