ASH: Coherent Super Stories #38 - License to Nil

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Fri Sep 11 18:54:54 PDT 2015

On 9/11/2015 6:33 PM, Dave Van Domelen wrote:
>       I will make them take their war elsewhere.  Their war may be only part
> of the Illusion, but it is a part that I will protect my kin from.  For only
> when I know they are safe from monsters can I let myself be truly Free.

> Author's Notes:
>
>       Seriously, 1970s licensed comics could get pretty weird.  Particularly
> the Marvel ones.  The Champions of Los Angeles versus Godzilla, who had
> all-new antagonists because the license didn't include any other kaiju.
> Shogun Warriors teaming up with the Fantastic Four.  The monolith from 2001
> awakening Machine Man.

... *and* the Eternals, who are basically "Chariots of the Gods" without
a license, only coming from Jack KIrby who was fresh from the origin of
Machine Man.  The star of the series was basically the world, not the
characters.

>       This particular story was inspired by taking one of those online
> quizzes, this one being about "Books You Should Not Be Proud To Have Read."
> The only one of the hundred books they listed that I had read was Jonathan
> Livingston Seagull.

ehh, yeah, I read that back at the time.  (I do seem to be the very
oldest member of RACC, and I was precocious for my age.  So yeah, that's
about right for when I was nine years old.)  And I agree, it didn't have
much to make a child enjoy it or an adult remember it.

>       I wrote this story based solely on what memories I retained of Jonathan
> Livingston Seagull after an interval of about thirty years, I didn't even
> read the Wikipedia summary (although I did look up the publication date).
> After all, why be more true to source than any other 70s licensed comic?  My
> heavily faded memories felt to me like the story was kind of a superhero
> origin story already, so not a big jump to this piece....

heh.  I recall it as being more like the Breakfast Club.

I know. - Archie Andrews