REPOST: RAC Challenge! #5

Andrew Perron pwerdna at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 07:35:48 PDT 2015

On 9/1/2015 10:33 PM, Arthur Spitzer wrote:
<snip>
>     Merton Flagler never knew what hit him. The kill was quick and
>     efficient--the work of a true professional. The killer stood behind
>     him in a classic gymnastic 'Y' position. Satisfied, Mary Lu plucked
>     the Ultimate Marble from Merton's clutching fingers and felt Paragon's
>     Ultimate Powers flow through her, merging with her own.

The way Levitz resolves this cliffhanger is by revealing that the Ultimate Woman
- is a MURDERER! While I'm not super enthused about "Someone replacing our hero?
THEY ARE SUPER EVIL CLEARLY" - especially when it's a female character - it
definitely provides forward motion, and does something interesting with the
cliffhanger.

>     "That's the Ultimate Woman, all right," observed Tito. Tina whacked
>     him upside the head.

Tito has... *interesting* tastes.

>     Before Tina could react, Tito took a bite of the Ultimate Sandwich and
>     blasted her into tiny pieces with the energy this provided. Mary Lu
>     picked up Tina's shades and put them on. She had Tito hand her the
>     sandwich, and instructed him to find a swamp and feed himself to the
>     alligators.

Also, the way the status quo other writers set up is disassembled is annoying -
but then, one can easily see this as a parody of how similar stuff *just kept
happening* with, say, the Green Lantern Corps.

>     "Look. For a short time, I'm in complete control of your destiny.
>     Whether you live or die is entirely my decision. I have power, you are
>     nothing. Grovel before me."
>
>     "I have a better idea."
>
>     Paragon spat in Scott Cederlund's face. He punched Scott in the
>     stomach, and kicked him repeatedly in the shins. "Paragon does not
>     grovel."

And I have *no idea* what to make of this. o.O

>     "No chance." Mary Lu reached through the screen and grabbed Malevo by
>     the shirt.
>
>     "Can you do that?" he asked, incredulously.
>
>     Mary Lu shrugged. "Stop me."

This whole bit is a nice bit of playing with reality--

>     Malevo twisted his arm around and pressed the 'off' button on the TV.
>     The screen went black and Mary Lu was left alone with his arm.

--especially this part.

Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, pretty good, pretty good