SW10/WWW: Power School 2012 #6: Nice Buffaloes! Have Some Candy!

Drew Perron pwerdna at gmail.com
Thu Nov 26 23:29:04 PST 2015

On 11/11/2015 10:11 PM, Scott Eiler wrote:
> On 11/11/2015 12:23 AM, Drew Perron wrote:
>> On 10/14/2015 9:59 PM, Scott Eiler wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.eilertech.com/stories/powernaut/2012.htm#6
>>
>> I feel like the latter half of this series had just a bit too much going
>> on. The explanation for what was happening with the buffaloes didn't
>> really feel like enough, even by Silver Age standards, and the last
>> strip doesn't have the space to properly finish off. Overall, while the
>> comic strip format usually works quite well with your storytelling
>> style, here, I feel like we could've used a bit more room.
>
> heh, this isn't the first time I moved the story quickly.  But this is the first
> time I filled a strip with 48 character portrayals.  That's more fitting for,
> say, some (-cough-) Crisis-on-Infinite-Powernauts story than for Power School.
> But I couldn't resist, with all those Powernauts around!  I'll try to keep the
> next Power School story more under control.

I just feel like the scope of your stories is getting a bit past six strips of
six panels each, even on the simple ones~ Nothing wrong with that.

> Usually when I move a story that quickly, I have some commentary to fill in the
> details.  I can have Pauly work on that.  I'd like to say, I just missed putting
> in the explanation...  but really, Doctor Fu pretty much explained it all to the
> same level of detail I'd developed the concept.  8{C>

It was just too vague - it needed some kind of thematic linking detail as to the
interactions between emotions, Theta Radiation, and the buffalos.

>> That said - I think the space restraints actually really help that last
>> panel. It's eerily effective, and all the more so for just being this
>> stark image, so different in style from the rest of the primary-colored
>> strip.
>
> heh.  (breaks into Sesame Street song)  One of these things is not like the
> others!  ... What does *that* say about what's coming up for Power-Earth 2013?
> 8{D>

DUN DUN DUNNN...

Drew "still getting used to the new style" Perron