META: LNH or LNH20?

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Wed May 20 10:15:34 PDT 2015

In LNH20 I am both a junior writer and a founding writer (as amazing as
that is to say).  So I can at least give an approximate answer.

On 05/20/2015 06:55 AM, Michael D Friedman wrote:

> Is LNH20 just a universe for rebooting the LNH, or are there
> specific fundamental differences between the two?

Just a universe for rebooting the LNH.

> I was noticing in some previous discussions when the LNH20 idea was
> being discussed, something about ownership rights, etc.

The main difference is, LNH20 has *fewer* ownership rights.  LNH20
writers each took a vow to make their characters communal, so other
people could write them too.  This worked about as well as any communal
model ever has.  That is to say, the commune's lost some members and
isn't very productive any more.

> Is there a specific historical "reboot" model that the LNH20 stories
> all relate to? (Like, all characters rebooted due to X event).

I don't think so.  We started the universe "already in progress".
However, there's considerable room for putting in X-Event as a prequel -
especially if it involves an invasion plot by alien space tomatoes.  Really.

> For example, let's say that theoretically a certain author were to
> write a theoretical one-shot story, theoretically rebooting his main
> LNH creation, would that author automatically set this series in
> LNH20, since it's a reboot? Or theoretically, would this still exist
> in LNH, since it wasn't developed as a LNH20 story (with whatever
> theoretical history that may theoretically have)? This is all
> theoretical, mind you.

That is entirely up to the theoretical writer.  What a concept.  8{D>