SW10/WWW: Powernaut 1976 #3: Have Some America!

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Fri May 15 18:10:17 PDT 2015

The Powernaut of 1976 only has one way to defeat his Nazi enemy: He'll
put on a pageant, and the United States will be the star!  Powernaut
1976 *concludes!*

http://www.eilertech.com/stories/powernaut/1976.htm#3

Bonus Section:  2005 Reprint Commentary from Stephen Oliver Samuels
(S.O.S.)!   Patriotism and Powernauts

Powernaut comics were hardly alone in suddenly finding patriotism during
the year of the American Bicentennial.  I don't know the state of mind
of that particular Powernaut, so I can't say whether he truly felt pride
in America.  But I can tell a story about the real Powernaut.

When we were in France in 1944, I told him I wanted to be as inspiring
and patriotic as him someday.  The Powernaut just tugged at his tunic
and said, "Do you think yellow's a patriotic color?"

"Well, not in our country."

"There you have it."

Now I realize, the Powernaut only became inspirational by accident.
That's known from his origin story in 1941.  He was just trying to do
the right thing.  The rest is history.

Having met the Powernaut's replacement, I believe a similar thing may
have happened.  He was obviously a moral man, trying to do what he felt
to be the right thing.  When he took up the Powernaut's name, he got the
Powernaut's enemies with it - as witness Aryan Man.  I can testify, the
presence of any Nazi is enough to make people believe in anything which
is the opposite of Nazism.  Like America.  So, the Powernaut of 1976
might truly have had a patriotic moment.

I know. - Archie Andrews