8FOLD/ACRA: Nonfiction # 5, "Justice for Julie Ann"

Andrew Perron pwerdna at gmail.com
Mon May 11 17:18:22 PDT 2015

On 5/8/2015 6:39 PM, Tom Russell wrote:
>Andrew-- I've been thinking rather deeply the last several hours about what
 > you said, about this being a good topical satire. And the reason why is
 > that when I writing the story, I didn't conceive of it as being satirical.
>
>Satire for me implies a certain level of ridiculousness, and a certain
 > level of exaggeration, and really (depressingly), there isn't anything
 > that's exaggerated her. I mean, sure, it's dressed up in genre trappings,
 > but the rhetoric isn't really heightened at all, it's pretty much literally
 > word-for-word the sorts of things these elements spout.
>
>I see what you mean of course about it being satirical-- it's certainly
 > angry enough to be a certain type of satire. This story was written very
 > much from a place of anger, which is atypical for me. But it wasn't
 > cathartic the way a satire would be-- the way the library story was, for
 > example; instead of dealing with my anger about all this stuff that's been
 > openly raging on the last year or so, it just made me angrier about it, and
 > I've been in a sour mood most of this week as a result.

That's interesting. Maybe it's because you were mostly straightforwardly
transplanting it, rather than doing some kind of exaggeration or even deeper
ripping-apart. (Though I did really enjoy the juxtaposition of it with
conspiracy theories.)

Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, wants to know more about the person who
wrote the piece in-story.