8FOLD/HCC: Journey Into #22 (HCC53)

Saxon Brenton saxonbrenton at hotmail.com
Sun May 10 03:57:41 PDT 2015

[8FOLD/HCC] Journey Into #22

Eightfold Comics Group Presents
A High Concept Adventure
JOURNEY INTO #22: 'Joanna Has Two Daddies'
by Saxon Brenton
[8F-144][HCC53]

     "Poppa, who's my mother?" asked Joanna.
     Michael looked up from the engineering blueprints had had spread
across his work space.  They were routine work for him, but to anybody
else they would be gibberish.  This was because Michael Huld was a
metahuman, a semi-retired cape, and most importantly, a mad scientist.
     And now, as he looked at his precocious and super-intelligent ten
year old daughter, he suddenly doubted his abilities to do the
impossible.
     "Well honey, that's a bit complicated," he said.  He weighed down
his papers with a piece of extraterrestrial bric-a-brac that he used as
a paperweight and turned his full attention to Joanna.  There had been a
time when he was much younger when Michael would have continued to work
as he talked, but Peter had put much effort to instill in his husband
better social graces, for which Michael was - in retrospect - grateful.
     "You know that that your Dad and myself..."
     "I know that you're gay, Pop," she interrupted with the exasperated
voice of children the world over who know that they are smarter than
their parents but wished that the adults would at least try to keep up.
"That doesn't change the fact that you need a female to contribute an
ovum to produce a viable zygote.  And I want to know who she is."
     Michael frowned at her.  "If you'll keep from interrupting," he
said sternly, "I was going to remind you that your Dad and myself were
active superheroes when we were younger and fitter, and one of the
things about superheroes is that they have weird adventures."
     "Sorry, sir," she said, briefly cowed.
     "Right then.  The thing you need to know is that there was a time
when there was a supervillain with a sex reversal ray gun."
     Joanna's face had the briefest flicker of bamboozlement cross it
before settling into a sober frown.  "Okay," she said.  Michael gave her
an assessing look.  "Does that worry you?" he asked.
     She shook her head.  "It's just not the type of thing I was
expecting."
     He raised an eyebrow.  "And what were you expecting?  That maybe
your Dad and myself had girlfriends before we discovered boys and that
one of us is really just your stepdad?"
     "That is such a soap opera," she said with vast derision,
attempting to avoid the question.  She considered.  "So you're saying
that one of Dad and yourself went and made yourself female and carried
me to term."
     "Yes," Michael agreed.  "And before you ask, it was me."  He
deepened his voice and in his best James Earl Jones voice said, "Luke, I
am your mother."
     "Oh Poppa," she said, half giggling and half wearily.   She
considered some more.  "So I was conceived in the middle of an
adventure?  That doesn't seem right.  It takes months for a woman to
realise that she's missed her periods.  Did you get stuck that way for a
while?"  Joanna knew from the stories that she'd been told and the scrap
book about Dad and Poppa's adventures that she'd been shown that
sometimes her Poppa used his devices to change his shape or species or
physicality.  Like the time he gave himself an ant's head in order to
communicate with the Animekt hive mind and track down the criminals who
had holed up in their pocket dimension.  Or the way he still sometimes
used a body of organic steel for rescue work.  This was why she wasn't
particularly surprised by the idea of him changing his gender.
     But on the other hand, as far as she knew he had always changed
himself back soon afterwards.  Which seemed reasonable enough when you
had a secret identity to protect.
     He shook his head.  "No.  The ray gun had easily reversible
settings, so I turned myself right back," Michael said.  "You see, at
that time I hadn't built the someone-else's-problem field generator to
conceal the fact that I'd changed."
     "They're called perception filters these days..."
     "Bah!  New fangled Doctor Who techno-babble," Michael said wryly.
"Give me good old fashioned Douglas Adams terminology," he added, not
quite managing to keep a straight face.  Not that Joanna would have
recognised the irony in what he said.  "Anyway, I didn't make the SEPF
until later...   When I started thinking about using the sex change gun
to start raising a family, as a matter of fact."
     "So you just went and made yourself female and had a kid," said
Joanna.  "Just like that."
     "Well, maybe not 'Just like that'.  But this was something your Dad
and myself were able to plan out.  It wasn't like some a crazed black
cape plan, where we had to have the solution an hour ago or the world
was going to be destroyed."
     "Okay them, so what about Geoffrey?" she asked, referring to her
little brother.  "Who's his biological mother?"
     "Ah," Michael said, and there was rolling of eyes involved.  "Well,
see the thing is that I was hoping that your Dad would take a turn
bearing a baby.  I thought it would be a good bonding experience.  But
Peter wouldn't have anything to do with it."  He made a small cough of
embarrassment.  "I'm afraid we had a bit of a fight about that, and I
had another 'I'll show you, I'll show you all' moment."
     And now it was Joanna's turn to roll her eyes.  "Oh Poppa, another
one?"
     Michael frowned at her again, but this time spoke with a lighter
tone.  "Don't take that tone of voice with me young lady.  I know you.
You take after me far too much for your own good, so there'll come a
time when you have a few 'I'll show you all' moments of your own."
     "I will not," she said, outraged.
     "You will too," insisted Michael with sage calm.  "Anyway, to get
back to Geoffrey.  I went and reverse engineered some cloning tanks that
we'd confiscated off the Social Chameleon after we'd defeated his plan
to replace the heads of the IMF with doppelgangers.  Then I used my mad
science to splice together our gametes to fertilise your brother's
zygote."
     "You grew my little brother in a cloning tank?" she asked.
     "Well, yeah.  Sure.  It was easy.  I mean, it's not like when the
bad guys use their cloning tanks and pseudo-RNA education to force grow
whole armies to adulthood so that they can fire a weapon from the moment
they're decanted.  This was just a simple exo-uterus growth of a single
infant."  He looked at her.  "Here, I'll show you the baby pictures."
     Michael stood up and walked to the shelf where the scrap books were
kept, and took down one labelled 'baby pictures'.  Joanna had never
looked at that.  Partly because she was privately embarrassed by the
idea of looking at her own baby pictures and making cooing noises over
them, and partly because she was far more interested in the scrap books
that showed the four-colour adventures of her fathers.
     "These are yours," Michael said, briefly showing Joanna pictures
of herself, both the photographs as a newborn and the ultrasound of her
pre-birth.  "And these are Geoffrey," he continued, pointing to the
photographs of a cloning tank with a glass front, where floating inside
the bluish liquid was a growing mass of flesh at different stages of
development.  "Isn't he adorable?"
     Joanna looked with clinical interest.  "Okay, so you used the sex
reversal ray gun again, collected an egg from yourself..."
     "No," said Michael emphatically.  "You weren't listening, honey.
I was having an 'I'll show you all' moment.  I didn't use a female ovum.
I quite deliberately spliced together two male spermatozoa to fertilise
Geoffrey's zygote."
     "Oh," said Joanna, who was far more impressed with that than all of
this cooing over babies stuff.  "Okay, that *is* cool."

==========
Copyright 2015 Saxon Brenton.  All characters created by me.

Author's notes:
     Written for High Concept Challenge #53: 'Gender Defenders',
stories that deal with some aspect of gender.  In this case, a
daddy/daughter discussion of the facts of life, made into a farce by
superhero comic tropes.

-----
Saxon Brenton   University of Technology, city library, Sydney Australia
     saxon.brenton at uts.edu.au     saxonbrenton at hotmail.com
"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex
world of jet-powered apes and time-travel." - Superman, JLA Classified #3