GODLING # 49 All-American Hero style? by J. Vandersteen

jvdsteen1974 at gmail.com jvdsteen1974 at gmail.com
Sat May 9 12:43:46 PDT 2015

GODLING # 49  All-American Hero style? by J. Vandersteen

- GODLING - THE ONE MAN PANTHEON:  The Invasion of Shambhala

"When will I get some rest?" Godling wonders as the giant snake with four heads tries to get a bit out of him. It is the naga that was summoned by Dark Monk.
"I mean, all of a sudden this giant snake appears in the middle of Hollywood gobbling up innocent citizen and I have to drop everything again to save the day. This superhero gig really messes up my social life."
    The naga's fangs barely miss Godling's arm. The One Man Pantheon kicks it in one of the heads with Heracles strength. He follows up with a roundhouse punch that sends purple blood flying from its mouth.
    The naga, angered, hits Godling with his tail, sending him flying into a wall. As Godling tries to get up the tail flies at him again, barely ducking in time as the tail destroys the wall. Through a hole in the wall three half-dressed women stand around screaming in a gym's dress room.
   "Sorry ladies... Looking good though," Godling says, winking. The distraction is enough for the snake to gobble him up though.
   "That snake... Just devoured him!" one of the ladies says.

*
"I just don't know what to do," Quentin Alexander says, sitting in his chair, boxes of pizza, thick books about mythology and a bottle of Jack Daniels at this feet. "Part of me wants to talk to this new Godling, find out who he is... Try to give him some advice... Try to make him act like more of a hero. But another overpowering feeling just doesn't give a damn. That part feels betrayed by the Olympians, but also by life itself. To think that just a few years ago Godling wasn't any part of my life and now it seems I can't live without it."
    There is a knock on the door. "Go away," Quentin says.
    Again, a knock. "It's me, Monica. Please open up!"
   Slowly he gets up and opens the door.
   "Quentin, you look like crap!" Monica says, shocked.
   "Good to see you too," Quentin says.
   "Seriously... I heard you called in sick at work so I wanted to check if I could do something for you. Is that whiskey on your breath? I didn't even know you drank? And what's with all the crap on the floor? This place used to be sparkly clean!"
   Quentin shrugs. "Don't know. Midlife crisis?"
"Seriously, I'm worried about you. What's wrong? How can I help you?"
    "I don't need any help. I just need some time alone. Focus on getting stuff patched up between you and Wade."
     Monica put a hand on his shoulder. "I may not be in love with you, Quentin, but you are just as important to me as he is. You are more than a friend or colleague. You are like a brother to me or something. Do something about your situation, if not for yourself do it for me."
      She then gave him a kiss on the cheek and walked off.
     Quentin was left alone, confused. "I still love her. I can't help it. And if I really love her, shouldn't I do everything I can to make her feel better?"

*
A kingdom filled with golden castles, sparkling meadows, surrounded by mountains. A glowing portal opens. Out walks the Dark Monk, followed by dozens of his clerics and shambling, undead Ro-langs. All of them carry swords, spears and shields.
     "Here I am... Shambhala! Land of Wonders!" The Dark Monk says. "Now, my followers, invade that castle there!"
     As the dark legion invades the biggest, most impressive castle there some archers clad in golden armor show up, firing arrows at the villains. The Ro-langs aren't harmed by the arrows though.
    The Dark Monk says, "You are all too unaccustomed to battle to best us. You live a life of peace while I have trained myself and my men for this day. Soon the palace will be mine as will be the wishing jewel."
 The Dark Monk fires off mystical bolts left and right, walking into the palace. Everywhere the defenders of the castle fall victim to the invaders.
   Then he has reached the throne of the emperor of Shambhala. The man on the throne holds up a hand. "Intruder... Why are you here? Why are you killing my men? I don't even know you. Why do you wish us harm?"
     "Nothing personal, Lord Maitreya. I just want the wishing jewel," The Dark Monk says.
     "I cannot give you that. I cannot trust you with that power!" Maitreya says.
     "Look around you. See all those dead bodies? Do you want to see more? Because we will keep on killing until you hand me the jewel."
     Maitreya sighs... "Very well. Follow me..."

*
In Hollywood the naga just explodes from the inside, entrails and organs flying everywhere as Godling bursts out of it.
    "That was as stupid move on your part, monster! But, gross... What a mess."
     The half-naked ladies are covered with blood an entrails. "Oh no... That is sooo disgusting... Eeew!"
     Godling wiggles his eyebrows, "Want to hit the showers with me and get cleaned up?"
      "Please bury your lust," a voice says. Godling turns around and is greeted by Hermes.
      "Spoilsport. What is it now?" Godling asks.
       "We need you to save the world. We learned The Dark Monk has invaded Shambhala and is close to seizing the wishing jewel. We need you to go there and defeat him," Hermes says.
       "Not now man, take a look at those babes. The world will have to wait. I'm tired, and the last time I faced that Dark Monk dude things got pretty hairy. Go to Shambhala yourself, wherever that may be."
         The One Man Pantheon walks to the half-naked ladies and takes their hands. "You like my muscles, ladies?"
      Hermes is left clueless. "Did he just ignore a message of the Gods?"

*
Shambhala, the secret treasure room of Maitreya's castle.
     "Here it is," Maitreya  says and hands a glowing jewel to The Dark Monk. "Now leave us alone."
       The Dark Monk takes it and says, "I can feel its power... With this jewel soon the entire world will be mine to rule!"

TO BE CONTINUED