8FOLD/ACRA: Nonfiction # 5, "Justice for Julie Ann"

Tom Russell joltcity at gmail.com
Fri May 8 15:39:28 PDT 2015

Andrew-- I've been thinking rather deeply the last several hours about what you said, about this being a good topical satire. And the reason why is that when I writing the story, I didn't conceive of it as being satirical.

Satire for me implies a certain level of ridiculousness, and a certain level of exaggeration, and really (depressingly), there isn't anything that's exaggerated her. I mean, sure, it's dressed up in genre trappings, but the rhetoric isn't really heightened at all, it's pretty much literally word-for-word the sorts of things these elements spout.

I see what you mean of course about it being satirical-- it's certainly angry enough to be a certain type of satire. This story was written very much from a place of anger, which is atypical for me. But it wasn't cathartic the way a satire would be-- the way the library story was, for example; instead of dealing with my anger about all this stuff that's been openly raging on the last year or so, it just made me angrier about it, and I've been in a sour mood most of this week as a result.

Just some thoughts.

==Tom