8FOLD: Mighty Medley # 17, May 2015, by Brenton, Perron, Russell, Russell and Stokes

Andrew Perron pwerdna at gmail.com
Mon May 4 20:52:10 PDT 2015

On 5/4/2015 8:54 PM, Tom Russell wrote:
> -------------EIGHTFOLD PROUDLY PRESENTS-------------
> -------------THE 2014 RACCIE WINNER FOR-------------
> --------------FAVORITE ONGOING SERIES---------------
> ----------------FAVORITE NEW TITLE------------------
> --------------FAVORITE DRAMA/ACRAPHOBE--------------
> --------------FAVORITE ACTION/ADVENTURE-------------

YEAH!

> "Scraps of Paper Found in a Field,
>   Provenance Unknown, April 1885" by Andrew Perron
> Aftershocks of our previous number, or shall we say foreshocks? Films
> from the future, reviewed in the past. Also, Andrew, seriously, enough
> with the long titles.

Look, all I'm saying is, you asked me to take part *after* Just Imagine Saxon
Brenton Versus Andrew Perron in the Return of the RACCies. (I admit, you
couldn't have predicted Just Another Multi-Writer Cascade That Will Probably
Never Have an Ending.)

> "Empress of Pages" Part 4, by Colin Stokes
> In which RACC's official Favorite New Writer continues his tale of
> magic and daemons.

HELL YEAH

> On the power of a real name, and the two natures of the Librarian.

Cyn <3

> "Doc in Space: an Untold Story of Docrates,
>   the Mighty Supra Gato starring Docrates,
>   the Mighty Supra Gato & Extra-Special Agent
>   Steve Shooter", by Mary Russell
> Oh, come on, Mary; you heard what I just told Andrew about those
> titles!

:D :D :D

>     A flicker of surprise crossed Deidre's face. "Uhm. A guard who
> talks to everybody who reaches a certain location and judges whether
> they're worthy of getting the secret knowledge they need to continue
> their quest."
>     The troll shook his head. "Nah. I'm just gonna eat you," said the
> troll, and raised his oversized club to smash them.

Heeheehee. <3

> Three billy goats dressed in mech battle armour emerged from the snow
> covered woods and began to fight - nay, engaged in awesome melee -
> 'gainst the troll.

OF COURSE. :D

>     "And I have no evidence to doubt it. But I don't think all the
> death magic polluting the atmosphere is the only thing that's wrong
> with this place. I've been to one or two worlds that are literal
> faerie tales. And... Look, I can't say whether or not it's true about
> the whole place, but when I saw that troll I realised: oh, that's what
> I've been feeling, he's some sort of story archetype. I mean,
> literally a character in a story."

You know, awhile ago I came up with a name for the genre Saxon primarily works
in: Science metafiction.

> Peake gave a whistle, and out came a
> shape. The shape was black, blacker than black, shifting like spots
> afore your eyes, and then it-- well, it didn't rightly become a horse,
> but it took on aspects that more resembled a horse than any other
> living thing.

Innnnnteresting.

>     "Wouldn't have said it otherwise," said Peake. "I been his best man
> three times now. Ned likes his wives like his horses, wild and
> unbroken. Problem is once he's ridden either, well, you can't break
> something twice, can you?

See, this is a nice, not-too-over-the-top way to make the reader comPLETELY
AND UTTERLY LOATHE A CHARACTER.

>     The daemon's eyes flared with a rage that burned away that despair,
> turning the fear in his belly into steel; and baring his teeth,
> Fn'ordh focused that steel and called upon the Netherguard, feeling
> the glossy black carapace envelop his body and the duller, flexible
> mesh form between the armored plates. Donning the Netherguard took a
> fair expenditure of his magical reserves, but in this case it seemed a
> reasonable precaution - or more accurately, the only real chance at
> victory here.

I still think this is so cool. <3

> The humanoid part, who had given up her name what now seemed like ages
> ago, regarded Fn'ordh primarily with irritation. She wanted her magic
> back, and now she had a way - and a place, and a Thing with a capital
> T - that would give her that which she desired. And this puffed up
> 'Lesser' daemon - maybe there was a Greater somewhere? - was standing
> in her path. And she was /done/ with him.

Must hug. Buy drinks from. ;.;

> In minutes,
> pausing only for a quick nibble, a few laps of water, and a visit to
> the, ahem, sand pile, the mightiest of the three Los Gatos-- that
> would be Docrates, the Mighty Supra Gato, the mightiest being in the
> universe, who took care not to disturb the slumber of the other two
> Los Gatos, his brother and sister, the second and third mightiest
> beings in the universe, don't ask which is which, really don't ask--
> sped away to the FBI space station, in space, where Extra Special
> Agent Steve Shooter of the FBI was waiting, in his FBI space suit,
> because he was in space, to brief our mighty hero (who didn't need a
> space suit, he can breathe in space) about the space bad guys who were
> in space, possibly wearing bad guy space suits.

This is an amazing sentence.

 > They headed for the moon, which is also in space.

Heeheehee

> Just inside the pepperoni-- he began to regret eating all the
> pizza, but he was still a kid back in those days, and pepperoni and
> cheese are delicious--

Bwahahaha <3

>     The Extras were in bad butt fighting mode and the bad guys ended up
> in bad butt shape.

Aughdorable.

> Stay out!
> Don't you dare cross this line. Cross at your peril. Your momma.

I think this is my favorite part.

Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, another startlingly quality month!