WWW: Ripping Off King Arthur #232 -- A Suicide in Destiny City (Part Sixteen)

Andrew Perron pwerdna at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 04:23:07 PDT 2015

On 3/8/2015 7:58 PM, Adrian J. McClure wrote:
> On Sunday, March 8, 2015 at 6:14:43 PM UTC-4, Scott Eiler wrote:
>>
>> This whole sequence has kind of a Watchmen or Dark Knight Returns feel
>> to it.  (This comes to my mind now because I'm plotting Powernaut 1985.)
>
>It definitely does remind me of 80s-type "revisionist" superheroes, but I
 > think it works a lot better than many examples of that. (Including--
 > potential heresy alert!--The Golden LNH-Men, which I felt was kinda
 > underwhelming.) I think that's because it's not aiming for "realism" but
 > for this surreal feeling which reminds me a lot of Bronze Age comics. A lot
 > of Arthur's work reminds me of Steve Gerber--that kind of heightened
 > alienation and weirdness.

Part of what makes this work is that there's attention to character
relationships and setting *other* than what fits the plot. I've seen a lot of
writers say there shouldn't be anything in a book that doesn't relate directly
to what's going on, and that's so wrong - there shouldn't be anything in a
book that doesn't add to this story, but taking place in a larger world
definitely does add to a story.

Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, besides, Moby Dick sold bajillions, and
that book is all digressions.