WWW: Ripping Off King Arthur #232 -- A Suicide in Destiny City (Part Sixteen)

Arthur Spitzer arspitzer at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 8 21:15:10 PDT 2015

Adrian posted:
>On Sunday, March 8, 2015 at 6:14:43 PM UTC-4, Scott Eiler wrote:
>>=20
>> This whole sequence has kind of a Watchmen or Dark Knight Returns feel=20
>> to it.  (This comes to my mind now because I'm plotting Powernaut 1985.)
>>=20
>
>It definitely does remind me of 80s-type "revisionist" superheroes, but I t=
>hink it works a lot better than many examples of that. (Including--potentia=
>l heresy alert!--The Golden LNH-Men, which I felt was kinda underwhelming.)=
> I think that's because it's not aiming for "realism" but for this surreal =
>feeling which reminds me a lot of Bronze Age comics. A lot of Arthur's work=
> reminds me of Steve Gerber--that kind of heightened alienation and weirdne=
>ss.
>
>Also, the coloring fits the mood really well.
>
>Adrian (Do we have more prose or webcomics at this group right now? Hmm)

Yeah, I probably lean more to the Gerber/Morrison way of writing superheroes
than the Moore way.

Golden LNH Men probably worked better if you read it like I did back in '94.
I hadn't read Watchmen or Dark Knight Returns when I first read Golden LNH
Men so it totally blew my mind.  Also at the time the LNH was a lot goofier
(with Dave's Constellation being probably the most serious book at the time)
so it was kind of a radical read in that pre-LOH era.

I think the most amazing thing about Golden LNH Men was how fast Jeff wrote
it.  I think it only took him one or two months to finish the whole thing.
Plus he was writing a bunch of other great stuff at that time too.

Arthur "Ah, 1994..." Spitzer