SW10/WWW/HCC: Power-Star Comics 1984, Starring Manly-Man!

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Thu Jun 4 19:15:01 PDT 2015

I believe someone asked for a toy story.

http://www.eilertech.com/stories/powernaut/1984.htm

Bonus Section:  2005 Reprint Commentary  from Stephen Oliver Samuels
(S.O.S.)!   Heroes vs. Toys

I don't know what it is about my generation.  We loved toys, but we
never thought of making ourselves into them.  Even the real Powernaut
didn't do that.  And the rest of us were just lads (and one or two
lasses) in uniforms, doing a job.  In previous commentary I spoke about
a failed marketing attempt by the 1970s Powernaut.  Later attempts were
also plagued with controversy.  But I suppose that's not the Powernauts'
fault.  Real people seem to relate best to fictional heroes.

Author's Notes:

My commentator just never met heroes who appealed to the public *and*
cared about marketing themselves.  I bet Marvel-Earth has Avenger toys...

Anyway, RACC has for once diverted the Powernaut comics with this
challenge.  Unfortunately, the Powernauts seem not to have lent
themselves to a toy line (aside from the disastrous Sugar Frosted Air
Hall of Power Playset in 1979).  However, the 1980s had no shortage of
comic-book toys and toy-based comic books.  I've already considered the
effect that will have on the upcoming Powernaut 1985 strip.  As such, I
was able to launch a toy comic series on short notice.  I went from
roughest draft to presentable web site in five days, which is even
faster than the first Powernaut comics.

This series could easily be a growth category.  I bet I can get as many
contributions as for 1944 if I ask for volunteers.  So I hereby ask.
Who else loves the '80s?  (Or at least '80s cartoons?)

You can see Manly-Man in the Superhuman World Wiki.  What a concept.
http://www.eilertech.com/stories/wiki/Manly-Man.htm

I know. - Archie Andrews